Codec Overrun

Reaction score
I am unable to mount the majority of .dmg files I download. I get an error when verifying the package or a "codec overrun" or something similar when trying to mount. I'm getting these errors with a variety of packages from different vendors, so I'm ruling out the packages themselves. I have a wireless internet service provider (WISP.) I'm seeing the issue both through wired and wireless connections to my router, and directly through Apple Software Updates, Firefox browser, and Safari browser. I have a 20" iMac (2.4ghz, 1GB RAM.) Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Are you by chance using a Download Manager such as Speed Download which breaks the package up for faster downloading?

Here is a link to the problem:- http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-25005.html

If you wish to try without say Speed Download, it is necessary to trash the application.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20"!! WOOH YEAH!! 2gb ram - 250gb hd 2.16ghz core 2 duo
same problem here, having so many problems, kernel panics etc reinstalled no end of times,

still codec overrun, and unable to mount checksum failed etc.

downloaded files on windows machine, copied over network still wont work, anyone got an answer

//EDIT// another error also, Verification failed in Update manager window, and safari download window

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
What are the .dmg's for and where are you downloading them from? It is entirely possible that the problem lies with the files and not with your computer at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20"!! WOOH YEAH!! 2gb ram - 250gb hd 2.16ghz core 2 duo
the dmgs where, a few adobe cs3 trials from the official website (soundbooth and after effects), an update from apple.com (combined intel 10.4.9 - i got 10.4.11 on the last reinstall and problem still there, got .9 to determine whether it was .11's fault)

also the verification message happens in the OS's update manager so it cant be the browser.

[thank you if you are going to help but i cannot test it as whilst installing an major update i forced it to veryfy using Mount.app and now it restarts over and over] - this is upsetting as these are the first issues ive had with my mac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.