Definitive answer on Spyware please

M

michaelk69

Hi there,

I have been having a lot of trouble with my Internet connection (i.e. I keep losing the broadband connection . . . the signal just 'drops') and the Broadband supplier is trying to tell me that it is because of Spyware on my Mac.

I have a 12 inch G4 Powerbook running on OS 10.3.5 (and even have Virex installed and running, if that counts for anything), and I told him that I don't think Spyware can work on a Mac (?), but he tells me that it can . . . and is. On mine.

Can anyone give me a definitive answer on this? Could he possibly right?

And if so, if there a reputable programme i can download to get rid of it?

Thanks very much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Absolutely not. Spyware depends on the windows architecture and is literally alien to a Mac.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
OP
M

michaelk69

Absolute Zero said:
Google!

There is spyware for the Mac, apparently. If you do have any spyware, check this out: http://macscan.securemac.com/

Thanks for that Absolute Zero . . . but do you know if it is a 'reputable company'? I am still not convinced that I have spyware on my Mac, so i don't want to download any old piece of crap unnecessarily . . .

Do you know anyone who actually has used this . . . or have you used it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Get back to your ISP, tell them you have reformatted your mac, everthing is clean and you definetly have no spyware anymore. Tell them it happens with multiple machines you've tried out. Tell them what it takes for them to sort out their act, cause it sure as **** isn't spyware on a mac.

That really gets to me: people in callcentre's who won't admit if a company has a problem and instead blame the consumer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.