SSH, Socks, Tunneling & WoW

Reaction score
Opening thread:
Hi. I'm a nub at computers but I happen to be pretty good at a game called World of Warcraft. =P However, I have to play on very high ping internet due to my location (Uruguay, South America,) and I'm trying to figure out ways to reduce my ping.

I recently came across a website called lowerping.com which, although mostly targeted at Australians, seems to offer great promise if I can figure out how to use it on a Mac.

However, my computer literacy extends not far beyond facerolling my way to victory in WoW. =P

Lowerping apparently works by using SSH to connect to a SOCKS proxy which tunnels into WOW's servers. (Keep in mind I have NO idea what I'm talking about, that's only what I've gathered from reading.)

Windows users use PuTTy & FreeCap to connect to Lowerping's servers.
They don't have Mac support because I don't believe the two creators have any Mac experience (no insult to them, just the way it is,) so I'm trying to figure out a way to connect to their servers on a Mac.

Here's my thread on their forums:
http://lowerping.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=279

You'll see some of the option I explored, but I don't really know what to do.

Would appreciate any help.

Thank you very much

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
SSH stands for Secure shell and is basically a connection that is established between two different devices over a network and all the data send it encryptes so it cant be intercepted and read. SSH is typicaly used for accessing computer systems remotly. A proxy is software/hardware that acts as a portal for sending and retreiving data eg You>>>Proxy>>>destination. the destination will think that all the data is comming from the proxy, but the proxy will relay data back to you.

What i think this service you are talking about would do is let you create a connection to there proxy using SSH. All your commands and instructions (WOW gaming)would then be sent to this proxy from your computer and then the WOW server would think that the connection and commands would be comming from the Proxy rather than your computer. the proxy would then relay all the information back to your computer.

To be honest I cant see how this would increase your latancy as you still would be communicating over the same distance but you would just be using a "middle man" and so in theory this would be slower.

The best thing you can do is fined someone or people who already use this service and see what they make of it.

OP
M
Reaction score
SSH stands for Secure shell and is basically a connection that is established between two different devices over a network and all the data send it encryptes so it cant be intercepted and read. SSH is typicaly used for accessing computer systems remotly. A proxy is software/hardware that acts as a portal for sending and retreiving data eg You>>>Proxy>>>destination. the destination will think that all the data is comming from the proxy, but the proxy will relay data back to you.

What i think this service you are talking about would do is let you create a connection to there proxy using SSH. All your commands and instructions (WOW gaming)would then be sent to this proxy from your computer and then the WOW server would think that the connection and commands would be comming from the Proxy rather than your computer. the proxy would then relay all the information back to your computer.

To be honest I cant see how this would increase your latancy as you still would be communicating over the same distance but you would just be using a "middle man" and so in theory this would be slower.

The best thing you can do is fined someone or people who already use this service and see what they make of it.

Thank you for your cautionary comments sir, but I've already investigated this. I know several people who have used this and seen a massive drop in latency (550 to 250.) I think the theory is that Blizzard's networking is faulty clientside, and this bypasses it.

I just need to figure out how to use it now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.