Monitor---"no signal"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 (x2), Power Mac G4 , iPod G3
monitor that works with pc gives "no signal" with used g4 tower i just got.

since i just got the g4, no os installed.

what should i do? try to install blind then reset pram?

thx

(btw my 2 powerbooks are out of commission for the moment so theyre no help)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Maybe the video card on the g4 isn't good?

OP
gumborue
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe the video card on the g4 isn't good?

god, i hope not.

should a video card from a g4 powerbook work if i swapped them?

is the video card easy to find and remove?

thx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No dont swap the video cards as laptops invariable use a Radeon Mobility Card. Open the G4, and depending on the model, the AGP slot for the video card is coloured brown and is usually first in the line.

Have you tried inserting the install DVD and see what happens? Do NOT USE the laptop install DVD's as these are specific models installs only. You must have a black install retail disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
No, the PowerMac uses a full sized video card. You could pick up a cheap video card for a G4 for $50 or something. But it depends on what G4 you own. If it's an early model, it's PCI graphics. If it's a later model it uses 2/4/8x AGP. Most 8X AGP Mac based graphics cards will work in older models. (I say Mac based because you can't just install a PC video card in and expect it to work.)
Do you know which version of the G4 PowerMac you own? The early four (PCI, AGP, Gigabit Ethernet, Digital Audio) all look exactly the same with the dark grayish front panel. The Quicksilver has a clean light gray front with an oval optical drive door and the Mirror Door Drive model has a door that's metallic.
Or, if you visit here, you can enter the serial # found on the back of the machine and it will tell you which version you have.

OP
gumborue
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, the PowerMac uses a full sized video card. You could pick up a cheap video card for a G4 for $50 or something. But it depends on what G4 you own. If it's an early model, it's PCI graphics. If it's a later model it uses 2/4/8x AGP. Most 8X AGP Mac based graphics cards will work in older models. (I say Mac based because you can't just install a PC video card in and expect it to work.)
Do you know which version of the G4 PowerMac you own? The early four (PCI, AGP, Gigabit Ethernet, Digital Audio) all look exactly the same with the dark grayish front panel. The Quicksilver has a clean light gray front with an oval optical drive door and the Mirror Door Drive model has a door that's metallic.
Or, if you visit here, you can enter the serial # found on the back of the machine and it will tell you which version you have.

its an AGP with a 9800pro card (supposedly).

supposedly, because when entering the SN in the link you provided i get squat. and, specs for G4 AGP linked from that site as well say it should have 3 firewire ports, but there are only 2.

anyway, you really think its the card? hate to spend the $50 for nothing.

some say reset the pram, but i've never understood why resetting the pram would affect signal to monitor. or is this stupid since an OS hasnt even been installed yet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
PRAM resets some sort of power management controller. If say something goes crazy and your video card stops receiving power, you could run into a situation like you're having. That's just an example....
If you don't have an OS, a folder icon with a question mark appears. It would still send a signal to the monitor.
I don't know how else to really help you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
When you say AGP model, any further information please? The 9800 if it is a Mac Pro is AGP8X which will work in AGP8X slot, and is backwards compatible with AGP 4X but it will not work in an AGP2X slot.

Has the card worked previously in this same machine?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.