how to uninstall software in mac?

M

mac*

does mac have something can uninstall software?
i just installesd the Xcode, but i can not find the way to uninstall it, help please. :D

OP
A

aurora

So far, all I do is 2 delete the software or program from the Applications folder. Don't think there's a software uninstall program.... Or is there? Anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Nope...Remember people this isn't Windows....You simply drag the app to trash, and empty...and that's it :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Although there is talk for an OS uninstall program.. or rollback program.. which would be nice for those that update and have problems with the update.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Use Allume Systems Spring Cleaning.

I have never used it, but I hear it does the job.

EDIT: I thought it was free, but I guess it's not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac G5 2 GHz 20 inch- IPod Touch 2nd Generation
see, this kinda confuses me. As an exPC user, it is almost unbelievable. i mean i like the software a LOT better than PC, but still, how does JUST dragging it to the trash uninstall it?

and i have heard from computer savvy friends that the uninstaller products you buy is just junk dont even bother.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
OSX does not use .DLL files, has no Registry unlike Windows. Most OSX files are self contained. Just right click on an application and then on Show Package Contents and you will see all the files that make the application run are in the application itself. Only thing that would be left behind by dragging the app to the trash is a few small configuration files. If those would bother you (in most cases there is maybe one small file) you can use a program like App Zapper or AppDelete and it will kill off even those configuration files.

Dragging the app to the trash though is really all that is needed with most proper OSX apps.

There is also this which is totally free.

AppCleaner

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You can drag most apps to the trash as a means of uninstalling it. That said, if an app comes with an uninstaller, use that. The uninstaller is included for a reason.

AppCleaner as recommend by dtravis7 is fantastic. If you go into the Preferences for AppCleaner, you can enable SmartDelete. SmartDelete lets you use AppCleaner without actually running the main application - you drag your files to the trash and a little AppCleaner window pops up asking if you would like to delete any associated files. This saves you from having to open the program each time you want to delete something.

Reaction score
On a Mac everything that the Application needs to run is Bundled inside the app.

If you Open your Applications folder, and double click on an app, the app launches just like it does on a windows machine, but if you Right click on the app you can select "Show Package Contents", This will let you see all the files that are needed to launch the App. No need for a "Registry" as all information is kept within the package. With the App being a Package like this you can typically move it, copy it or trash it without worrying about a Corrupted Registry or a bunch of other files all over you Mac. No real need for a Special App to chase down a bunch of files for you.
You may find a small file in the Library/Preferences directory that the app used to store Preferences in and these are typically very small 4 kb files and I see no need to run an app like (AppZapper = 3.9 MB or AppCleaner = 6.7 MB) to delete a 4 kb text file. Every few months I go to Users/user name/Library/Preferences and delete the .plist files I know I don't use anymore. Since I don't have to spend as much time on maintenance as I did on Windows machine , this makes me feel like I have done something important on my Mac. LOL

Most of the Apps that put files elsewhere on your Mac will come with it's own uninstaller to do the chasing down for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
AppCleaner - Job done.

Reaction score
Hot to uninstall software in mac

The situation I have is that I installed the software, it did not work. When I went to look for it under applications I could not find it. I did search and could not find it. When I tried to install it again it tells me it was installed successfully. Help. I knew it is going to take some time getting used to the switch.

OP
C

chas_m

1. You are responding to a thread from two years ago (that actually started up SEVEN years ago!).

2. You expect some help when you haven't told us the name of the software, the version of OS X, the machine you're using or ANYTHING actually useful for us to help you? Seriously??

My advice would be to start a new thread and include some details. You'll find some friendly helpful folks here, but the psychic hotline we aren't. :)

Reaction score
I'm still learning Mac, but here are my draft notes from the thread at this link:

For apps downloaded from the web:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sw...ng-uninstalling-applications.html#post1347907

Installation:

Open dmg file. Mounts a drive. Either:
1. Drag and drop the icon to Applications from the open dmg window. Eject the mounted dmg file or drag it to trash. Most work this way.
2. Some apps like Office use a custom Installer. Open the dmg file, but inside find a pkg file. Double click on it to install the app. Then before ejecting this type of dmg, note carefully how that app will deal with uninstallation in future.

Uninstallation:

1. Drag and drop apps: Drop the app's icon to the trash.
2. Apps with their own custom installer: will need to find and use their uninstaller. If the app created a folder for itself during installation, you might find it there.
3. Some apps install themselves as Preferences in OSX, like Perian (a good app for video playback). Open its preference pane in Apple Preferences and uninstall from there.
4. Some apps put an uninstall pkg in the dmg file. Drag that to a place where it will be available in future if you need to uninstall the app.
5. Some apps have a custom uninstall routine that will need to be looked for with Google.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
MacKeeper has a terrible reputation. Regardless of that, you don't need an application to uninstall others.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.