Copying files from an external HDD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6 GHz Intel Core Duo; 4 gigs RAM
Here goes:

I have all my files that i want to copy into my MacBook Pro on an external HDD which is connected to my PC. (Yes I have very recently switched from a PC to a Mac)

The software to be installed in order to connect the HDD by an ethernet cable to a computer is apparently only for PCs according to its manual. Thus i settled for USB connection which seemed to work fine. However after copying a few files to the Macbook Pro I got a message that certain files could not be copied due to some rights that i apparently didn't possess. Thereafter the copying window on the Mac hung, i.e. the copying process still was shown as going on but none of the indicators (data copied, time remaining) changed. I tried shutting down 'Finder' but the copying window continued, while the buttons to close (red cross) and to maximise (green + sign) got disabled. The only thing i could do was 'Force Quit' it.

Is this normal? I have heard so much about a Mac not hanging at all but this seems to prove this theory wrong.

Also does anyone have any idea why I'm getting this message of not having rights to copy files?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Am trying to copy again right now. I got the familiar message that certain files can't be copied because I don't have rights. As of this moment its stuck with the message "70.4 MB of 69.53 GB - Estimating time remaining"

This has been like this for the last hour. I don't know whether to force quit the 'Fiinder' or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Its a PC disk right?

Select the disk icon and get info ( i - or right click on the icon) - in the window that pops up, what does it say in the Ownership and permissions section in the info window

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its a PC disk right?

Select the disk icon and get info ( i - or right click on the icon) - in the window that pops up, what does it say in the Ownership and permissions section in the info window

Yeah its a PC disk..That's the idea..;I need to copy all my data previously on a PC to my Mac.
I did what u asked and I have the info classified under different headings like General Info which says:
Kind: Volume
Format: Windows NTFS

Under Sharing and Permissions it says You can only read.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does the info window have a little padlock icon you can unlock using your account password?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can only suggest copying over some individual folders at a time - might isolate any particular folders where the problem is an issue

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can only suggest copying over some individual folders at a time - might isolate any particular folders where the problem is an issue

I tried that bro'. Out of all the folders that really matter to me like my 60 GB of legally purchased music (worth thousands of euros)
They all give the same error message. I can't afford to lose all this. Please suggest something...coz if not at the worst I'll have to switch back to a PC. Will probably be the first person in the world to make this transition...:p

Edit:
I've managed to copy some stuff now...but not directly. I have to copy whatever I want to a USB drive and then stick in that drive in a USB port on the Mac to copy again. Needless to say this is gonna take a few days since my USB size is 1 GB whereas I have 80 GB of data to copy.

The point that catches my attention is the USB is FAT32 while the drive I was trying to copy from directly was NTFS. Can this be the problem? If so anyway to cure this?

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.