PCI card for Mac or PC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PM G4 1.25 FW800 240GB 2GB OS X.5, PB G4 1GHz DVI 60GB 1GB OS X.4
Hi, I have a question about PCI cards. I have 2 PCI cards (1-firewire & 1 USB 2.0) that I installed in my Windows PC. I want to know if I can install them in my MAC? I know they will fit in the PCI slots, but will they work correctly?

My MAC is old; PowerMAC G4 dual 500, 2 gb ram, 120GB hd. I recently upgraded the video card to an AGP Radeon 9200 w/ 128mb. I also have a Canopus ADVC50 PCI card installed. I also have an external firewire hd and an external firewire dvd burner attached to this machine. Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
It should work if you are trying to install a PCI card. However, bear in mind that most "PCI" cards these days are PCI Express cards. These will not install into an older PCI slot.

Next you have to consider whether you have any drivers for the card you are trying to install. For standard Firewire and USB cards, you may not need any of course.

OP
ferrara1211
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PM G4 1.25 FW800 240GB 2GB OS X.5, PB G4 1GHz DVI 60GB 1GB OS X.4
How can I tell the difference between a PCI and PCI Express card?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.