Printers for Graphic Designers

Reaction score
Hello. First post here guys. Feel free to send it to a more appropriate forum if needed...

My wife is a graphic designer, recently laid-off and now pushing her freelance work. Last year we bought a 24" iMac and the adobe creative suite in anticipation of the company's "cut-backs". Along with that we purchased the HP Photosmart Pro B9180 printer. The salesperson said it would be perfect for what she does.

It turns out the printer isn't perfect. It prints great photos...awesome photos. But detailed graphics/text on non-photo paper is very lacking and my wife and I have tried tweaking settings etc... She does lots of business cards, flyers, brochures, wedding invites, business logos, etc... She usually prints the final products through a professional printer, but she would really like to be able to print at home so clients could see an instant result and for her own personal portfolio and a long list of other reasons.

What printer would you suggest? She is usually working through Illustrator. She just keeps saying "We should have got an Epson"...

price range of $100-$500 Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Detailed graphics and text from an inkjet will always look not as good on non-photo paper.

Photo paper doesn't have to be the heavy glossy stuff. Try matt lightweight inkjet paper.

OP
D
Reaction score
Detailed graphics and text from an inkjet will always look not as good on non-photo paper.

Photo paper doesn't have to be the heavy glossy stuff. Try matt lightweight inkjet paper.

So the problem is the paper?

It seems like we've tried all kinds of paper. She uses heavy cardstock and other paper types that aren't for photos at all for most of her projects. I think the paper qualities and textures are not debateable. People don't want business cards or invitations printed on matte photo paper you know?

I have a hard time because I love this printer for my digital pics.

I guess maybe a laser printer would be better for what she is looking for? Or should an inkjet be able to suffice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
I have an HP Photosmart and it works perfect for me. I always try to use hp paper, their matte brochure paper is awesome.

When printing just make sure you are selecting the correct paper type for what you are using. I've never had problems printing type with an HP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
So the problem is the paper?

It seems like we've tried all kinds of paper. She uses heavy cardstock and other paper types that aren't for photos at all for most of her projects. I think the paper qualities and textures are not debateable. People don't want business cards or invitations printed on matte photo paper you know?

I have a hard time because I love this printer for my digital pics.

Yep, I think it is the paper. You have a good printer there and you should be able to get pin sharp text on any decent inkjet paper stock. Failing that, I think there's something in the settings that's been missed.

How exactly is text/graphics 'lacking'? What specific paper have you tried so far? What paper are you using that creates such good photographic images?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.