Suggestions for a MBP HD upgrade

Reaction score
So, I am looking to install a new hard drive in my MBP. It has a 120 now and I am wanting to just move it up all the way to 320.

I know that Western Digital has this one:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...l+320&lp=2&type=product&cp=1&id=1142294266836

And Seagate has this one:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...+320&lp=13&type=product&cp=1&id=1172880157994

And I am pretty sure Toshiba has one too. I am just wondering if anyone has a suggestion. Has anyone installed one of these yet? How difficult, how long did it take?

Most importantly, what is the process? Obviously back up the current HD before beginning, but then what? What can I do with my 120gig HD that I will be removing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Core Duo, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Samsung 19" Monitor, 250 GB WD My Book, 16 GB iPod Touch
I actually did this this past summer.

Buy an external case for the 2.5" drive and then put your new drive in the case. Use SuperDuper to clone your internal drive onto your new one in the external case. Then, you just swap them out. Easy as that.

Reaction score
A couple more questions to add to this, as I am also looking to do the same. I too have a 120 in my mbp.

How bad is the performance drop that can be expected?
And does the new mbp support a drive that size? I haven't seen anything that suggests that it does.

OP
J
Reaction score
by new, do you mean ours? i have the 2.16 processor, is that what you have? crap, that would be terrible to make a bad buy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.