No open?

Reaction score
Hey guys, i just got a Mac Pro, off ebay the seller tells me that it doesnt start up anymore, its only 2-3 months old, he installed, or put in an airport wirless, and thats when it all went horribly wrong, the specs are 2.5ghz, 4gig ram, umm duo something...im hopless at this lol, anywayaz im really puzzled out whats the matter with it, i started it up, hooked it to my BENQ monitor, and plugged in all the appliances..such as keyboard mouse, etc..the mouse works..but the keyboards button doesnt show..as in the light of the caps lock doesnt turn on..but i no it works cause i plugged it into my other comp, Imac G5 and it worked fine..so i dont really know whats hapened..im really at a loss here..when i booted it up, it sought of started up then slowed the pase down abit..so i took out the airport wirless and started it up agian..and it started going faster, not loosing its pase..then i put it back in and it still worked fine...but the only problem is..i cant get a signal to the monitor..after awhile..i tried it agian..and then the sound came on for the mac..you know that weird one lol anyway...still didjnt work, can someone plz help me? thnx id really appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
When you figure out exactly what you have, we can begin to help you.
If you can go to the Apple in the menu at top and tell us what it says under about this mac and under more info, that'd help greatly. Or give us the serial #.
Or, if it is 3 months old, take it to the Apple store and have them look at it.

My suspicions is you bought a PowerMac G5. I don't think Apple makes a wireless card for the Intel Mac Pro Quad or 8-Core. I've called to see if I could purchase one. Maybe FastMac does or one of those 3rd parties....

But we really can't help you till you help us.

OP
Rtas09
Reaction score
lol ok firstly Power...mac... and seconldy thnx for ure help lols but i said i cant open it at all...so how am i going to check the specs? anywaz it did open eventually..i found out the mother boards had it..it said error when i ran a test lol, but...when i tried to get the mother board out...i snapped one of the pieces off the video card :| im an idiot lol, so i tried welding it back on...and i did, its touching i think..cause i started up my power mac again....and this time...it didnt do anything..then the whole computer shut down,? then i startedit up again..and it shows display abit..but no screen where i got to before..and when i restarted and did it again..no display showed, and this constantly happens. Now if if this is the case...i've screwed up my Video card (Radeon 9300 XT) and my motherboard is already recked..im very very dissapointed, its all my fault trying to open it up myself :S. im trying to start it up on anoter computer, to see if the video card is actually recked. Ill get back to you when that goes through. And the guy i bought it off had the version Panther, updated to the latest with panther.. so i dont know what that would be, something like 10.3.9? or 12 i dont really know....all i know is i paid $800 for this Second hand Power mac and its giving me a hard time. And if i ask the Apple store all there going to say is, Buy a new mac -.-. i know its probally true but im not giving up on this Power Mac, i want it up and running lol. Apple stores arent very reliable..my iMacg G5's cd drive stopped working after awhile, so i called an Apple store and they said hmm...well i think you should Buy a new mac, so i dont rely on Apple so called "experts". and There is an Aiport Wireless card that u put it by ureself, its a seperate part to buy to the computer. Now to help me guys all you have to tell me is..where can i get another motherboard, and possibly..how can i fix the video card i screwed up? lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
when i booted it up, it sought of started up then slowed the pase down abit..so i took out the airport wirless and started it up agian..and it started going faster, not loosing its pase..then i put it back in and it still worked fine...but the only problem is..i cant get a signal to the monitor..after awhile..i tried it agian..and then the sound came on for the mac..you know that weird one lol anyway...still didjnt work, can someone plz help me? thnx id really appreciate it.

Sounds like it is working to me. Unless by it, you're referring to the G5 iMac...
Well, knowing you have a G5 PowerMac helps. G5 PowerMacs have power issues. I bought a Dual 2GHz 2 weeks ago on CraigsList because it had a bad power supply. It wasn't covered by Apple. Maybe you have the same issue? The G5 iMacs also had power issues. Have you checked the Apple to site to see if either is covered? They can both be fixed outside of the warranty for free....
Find Product by Serial #
Power Supply Extension Program
Open your PowerMac from the side. The serial# is at the bottom on an oval sticker that also lists your specs.
Maybe you can get the power supply fixed.... As for the rest, not to be rude, but it doesn't sound like you know what you're doing. You could have fried the logic board (motherboard in the Mac world) if weren't careful (you could have easily shocked the thing without noticing) and probably broke the video card when the piece snapped off.
If you can't get the power supply fixed, I would say sell it as a parts machine. It's no good an it will cost an arm and a leg to get fixed. A logic board will cost around $600 and a video card will be around $200 I would guess. If there are other issues, that will add to the whole mess.
Get $200 or $300 bucks for it and run. Go to the Apple store and buy a Mini.

Please, proofread and edit your posts. They're very difficult to read.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Core 2.66, ATI 1900, 5 GB RAM, 750 GB Storage
When you figure out exactly what you have, we can begin to help you.
If you can go to the Apple in the menu at top and tell us what it says under about this mac and under more info, that'd help greatly. Or give us the serial #.
Or, if it is 3 months old, take it to the Apple store and have them look at it.

My suspicions is you bought a PowerMac G5. I don't think Apple makes a wireless card for the Intel Mac Pro Quad or 8-Core. I've called to see if I could purchase one. Maybe FastMac does or one of those 3rd parties....

But we really can't help you till you help us.

There is a wireless card for the Mac Pro Quad and 8-core machines. It is only installable by Apple, so they won't sell it direct to you. If you have an Apple authorized reseller/repairer or an Apple store they will install it for free. (The Apple store for sure will). I looked at the install when I got mine and it is actually a decently complex setup as the antennaes are wired behind the motherboard and may or may not require special tools to install. The nice thing was though that the card was under $30 I think it was.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is a wireless card for the Mac Pro Quad and 8-core machines. It is only installable by Apple, so they won't sell it direct to you. If you have an Apple authorized reseller/repairer or an Apple store they will install it for free. (The Apple store for sure will). I looked at the install when I got mine and it is actually a decently complex setup as the antennaes are wired behind the motherboard and may or may not require special tools to install. The nice thing was though that the card was under $30 I think it was.

Yea, I know Apple installs it the time of purchase. Well, except when you buy a refurb like I did. I've called and they just told me I was outta luck. I don't need it anymore but thanks for the heads up. If I ever need the card, I will just haul this beast to the Apple store.
I just assumed this guy had a G5 and was messing with a AirPort Extreme card.

OP
Rtas09
Reaction score
shock..as you say

Heya, I wish it was in shock, and yeah i know what im doing. Im Praying that it's in Shock, and that the logic board isn't snapped. The guy i bought it off seemed like he dropped it, because one of the legs well under the back theres a dip, for the power mac..that was bent totally. And i couldn't bend it back by hand. So The guy that had it must of dropped it, and i'm praying now that it didn't snap the logic board. So what im doing is turning it on and waiting for that Chime sound, you know how you turn the mac on and there's that noise? we'll it doesn't always do that, so i'm staying there pressing it on and off till that noise comes on, and that means it boots up...now i have to turn the mac on and off 50 times before that noise comes on to power it up..and when that happens it also freezes. The guy also took out the hardrives, which doesn't help at all. What i think has happpened its gone into shock, so i've unplugged the wireless aiport and every other Part attatched to it, so that i'm hoping for it to reset and forget whatever that guy did to it. I put in the install Disk for (tiger) and it started up to that. Also The keyboard doesn't work..so i could only use the mouse. And when i plugged an external harddrive into it, it wouldn't let me Install the OS on that. Which is a bugger :S. 210g(external). I'm not going to sell it, and i don't care whether it takes an arm or leg, im going to get this MAC up and running. The Cards for the memory are quite good, there Geil 4GIG. I don't want to sell those. I could use the memory for my imacG5, but what's the point its already on 2ghz, and 1GIG ram, so no point rly, its fast as it is. I'd like to fix the PowerMac, if the logicboard is snapped then i've just paid 800 for nothing. I can sell the parts but i'd rly like the computer to work, i was wondering also if i can buy a logic board? which i highly doubt. And i'm STILL not sure if my video card is screwed. If i do get it up and running then ive just saved myself about $9220. With all the components inside its worth at least $10,000 new. In this state..800 for the parts only as you mentioned above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you knew what you were doing...

1. You would know what computer model you purchased.
2. You wouldn't have bought that computer in that condition.
3. You wouldn't have broken the video card during disassembly.
4. You wouldn't need our help if you knew what your doing.

My Mac Pro Quad 2.66GHz was $2360. I don't know how you came to the conclusion it's worth $10000.

If you are willing to pay whatever to fix it, take it to an Apple store or authorized repair shop and let them take of the repair. Or consult the almighty google for your parts needs. There is no shop (that I know of) that sells Mac Pro replacent parts.

OP
Rtas09
Reaction score
Ok, My model is Power Pc 2.5g Dual. It's worth 10,000 because of the components inside it, there worth quite abit, not just $2360 as your mac is. everyone doesn't know what there doing in this forum, well thats what your saying since you say i ask for your help. Then you don't know what your doing when your in trouble? Im asking for help, I've gotten it up and working so it doesn't matter now. I guess i did know what i was doing :p, All i need now is a harddrive, now for to buy that computer in that condition is not my fault at all its ebay what do you expect? The seller took a pitcture of a MacPro from the apple site, and put it there. And before i realised 1 CPU was working not 2, now that the both are working the keyboard starts to recover and it workable whilst before it wasn't. So really i think i've just bought a MacPro worth at least 8 or more thousand, in Australia. Thanks for the help guys anyway, i've fixed my own problem. I've also gotten Leopard 5 users, for $140 so im finally getting everthing together, can't wait to get it all up and running. I've also bough a harddrive for mac, $200. So basically i've paid $1,140 for My mac to have everthin in it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.