Starting over

Reaction score
Just bought my MBP a couple weeks ago. It came with Tiger, but also Leopard to install. If I want to start over. Do I have to use the two installation disks that include Tiger, before I install Leopard again? Why doesn't the Leopard disk include everything needed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
Most likely your MB was in the area right between the transition to Leopard and the phasing out of Tiger. As far as I know there are no OS X upgrade discs. So chances are you have two OS discs. Which is pretty sweet in my book. I'm sure you can upgrade to leopard with the disc, but I have heard nothing but problems with that. I would suggest a format and re-install with leopard but I would wait for a second opinion.

Also is this similar to what you are talking about?

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88223

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You don't need the Tiger install disks to install Leopard. Just install Leopard. When you do get to installing it... be sure to back up any important files you have, then choose the "Erase and Install" option to do a clean install of the OS. And be sure any 3rd party programs you download/install are known to work with Leopard.

As for "Why doesn't the Leopard disk include everything needed?".... I have no idea what you mean by that.

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
I was just confused in thinking that there is two disks I needed for the Tiger install....and just one for Leopard. I thought they were both the same as far as OS's are concerned.

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
I think the guy above was right about the link that he had attached. My MBP came with 10.4 (two disks) full version. I had to install those, then the 10.5 Leopard. It isn't the retail version. It's the CPU drop-in version. I believe that means that I would have to reinstall 10.4, before this version of Leopard would allow installation. What a waste of time! I can't believe I will always have to go through to full OS installs. I'm almost better off popping for the full retail version of 10.5. I think Jobs really is playing on the cheap when it comes to this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 w/4 gigs, Mac Pro Dual Quad 2.8's with 16 gigs of Ram, iMac 21" i5
I did the same thing with my new Mac Pro, but please be aware that if you do a clean install of the OS disk while it is a full version you do NOT get the iLife suite with it. The only way to keep the iLife suite is to upgrade the Tiger install. At least that is what I have found, has someone found something different?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
The second "Tiger" disc you speak of is actually for installing all the iLife apps. Those are not bundled with an OS. They just come free with any computer purchase.
My Mac Pro came with 10.4.9, the iLife '07 disc, and a 3rd disc for iLife '08 because I got it right after the new iLife apps came out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.