Please Help With Airport Express

M

menace3054

I picked up an airport express today, because i thought that it would extend my wireless network's range.. My school has a no return policy on computer parts as well... once i opened it, it said that it would extend the range of an airport base station only... is this true? I have a linksys wireless g basestation that I am currently using.. Is there a way to set up my airport express so that it will extend my networks range? Or and i S.O.L. thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I would do search online for that.. I have heard that some people have made it work, but yeah it only works with the airport express right out of the box. :(

OP
M

menace3054

i think it worked.. im connected to the ap express network right now.. the green status light on the ap express is on, and it actually let me configure it. But, my signal is still not too great on the other end of the house... i guess i just wasted 120 bucks..... any ideas?> im a little bummed, i though it would work right out of the box, with any wireless router. I figured if i went to school it would work, at my friends house, at a hotel, etc.. i guess its a little harder than that :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
My guess is that they would have had to make it a lot bigger so that it could have all the components and software to work with more routers instead of just providing what is needed for their own. I hate saying, "You should read up on technology before purchasing it" especially after the fact, but you might want to sell it since it doesnt seem to work for you, well at least not as good as you would like. I would like to own one, but as soon as I read up on the specs and saw that it only extended Airport base stations, then I knew it's not for me.. yet, although maybe you might want to use it's airtunes, or whatever it is called.. or use it instead of your linksys... :(

OP
M

MoltenLava

Sure Airport Express is not for everyone. It's for those of us who's willing to buy two or more Airport Express for bridging and Airtunes, and also occasionally bring them with you on the vacation so you can enjoy wireless internet in your hotel room.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.