What made you decide to switch to Mac?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
none of the above.

just had been interested for a long time, my 17" HP pavillion laptop died about 14-15 months ago, and a 13" core duo macbook was it's replacement.

i have fallen in love with OS X and plan on getting an imac (probably used) sometime in the future to replace my wife's 15" pavillion laptop and for some light gaming and just to have a larger screen when necessary.

OP
T
Reaction score
For me, it was due to Windows Vista. When Vista came out, I was in the market for a gaming PC, so on the day Vista was released I went to Futureshop and bought a HP PC. While in the store, after I paid for it, I will have take it to the tech for them to throw a patch on it because it was not done in factory so I had to wait till the next day to get my computer.

Within 6 months I have to bring my computer into FS to get it repair and they cannot replaced a part! Also, things crashes here and there at times, which was really annoying when I was playing Rainbow 6 Las Vegas it would crash every so often. So when school was about to start back in Sept, I wanted to get a new small laptop than what my school issued us (a gigantic Toshiba "laptop") so I looked at FutureShop and again... of course all the "laptop" they pump out now a days comes with Vista and they are HUGE! I even looked a Dell. Then I remember my friend have a nice and tiny portable black macbook, asked him to show me the macbook again... and boom I got myself sold to a white macbook for school (of course I also did my research on here and other mac forums).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
None of the above.

Unix.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
I got one because at the time it was the only way to load up an Ipod.

That was quite an expensive day, I seem to recall :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
None of the above.
I just quit using my Windows computer when I moved last year. When I heard Intel Macs could run Windows, I figured it'd be dumb not to buy a Mac. I liked OS X because it ran smoother but I wasn't too familiar with it beyond the shortcuts they teach you when learning photoshop.
Buying a Mac gave me an out because I thought if I had run into problems learning OS X, I could keep using Windows no problem. I bought a MacBook and have only touched Windows once and that's because I wanted to play a video game. I have PS3 now, so looks like bye bye Windows forever.
I haven't never tried Vista. Is it as bad as everyone makes it seem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I never switched, I grew up on them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I never "switched". I have used Macs (since 1985) longer than the Windows OS (since 1993?).

I don't think anyone should "switch" one OS for another. Windows machines have their good points, just like Macs have theirs.
Use the best machine for the job at hand and don't limit yourself to using only one kind of machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I never "switched". I have used Macs (since 1985) longer than the Windows OS (since 1993?).

I don't think anyone should "switch" one OS for another. Windows machines have their good points, just like Macs have theirs.
Use the best machine for the job at hand and don't limit yourself to using only one kind of machine.

If you define crash for no good reason a job PC's are good at doing, I can see your point. Kidding aside, I use XP at work. I think the program we use for order entry is Unix based, only a handful of people get to use a Mac at work. I get a 450MHz Dell that takes 5 minutes to load every morning. Woo! But it does let me use Office the way I am familiar. I have never tried Office for Mac (I assume the OS X version isn't an exact port.)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB

I have always use Apple products at home, and windows at work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook - White
Couldn't stand my PC anymore. I played around with my friend's brand new 20" iMac and fell in love. I'd go on with how I think the 13" MacBook I'll have shortly is so much better than this PC, but that is beside the point. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
If you define crash for no good reason a job PC's are good at doing, I can see your point. Kidding aside, I use XP at work. I think the program we use for order entry is Unix based, only a handful of people get to use a Mac at work. I get a 450MHz Dell that takes 5 minutes to load every morning. Woo! But it does let me use Office the way I am familiar. I have never tried Office for Mac (I assume the OS X version isn't an exact port.)

I use OSX and Windows. I'm a Windoze admin during the day, and have just Mac at home. I don't really have a preference, but I don't see the harm in knowing more than 1 OS, so I'm happy with this setup.

Office for Mac has a lot of similarities and a lot of differences.

Comparing Office XP and 2004 for Mac, Word and Excel are more or less identical, but 2004 Mac doesn't have access or Outlook. It has something called entourage, which I think is the equivalent to Outlook but I have never used it so I can't say. I think they both have powerpoint, but I have never used that on either version, so again I can't compare.

I don't know about the more recent versions.

Reaction score
I havent switched yet, but when I do get a mac it is for none of those reasons. working in creative fields practically require you to know macs and their software, despite being able to do everything on a pc anyway. I currently run an xp desktop and vista laptop. Between them, I have photoshop CS3, premiere pro 2, after effects 7, sony acid pro 6, and autodesk maya 8. But since I dont know final cut or work with macs, no one seems to want to hire me for video work. Otherwise, I have had virtually no issues with any windows computers I have ever worked with (except my mom's poor treatment of her WinME computer, but ME was trash).

Reaction score
2 things made me switch. The 05/06 imac caught my attention but I was also in need of a new computer. I have never used a mac before but I thought I'd give it a shot and I'm glad I did.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15". 2.4GHz. - 2GB RAM. - 60GB HD@7200 rpm.
My (computerless) life was just fine before I began to take notice of the ad's. SILLY LITTLE FLIBBERDIJIBBITS, Apple -- Life hasn't been the same since.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
A roommate in school was selling one for $35. A 9600/233 with os 9 (hence the name).I hadn't used one since the days of the APPLE ][. I was hooked in about three weeks. Then got a G3 ($50) which I sold and bought a G4($200). Still use windows but always prefer my mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
i was sick of the SHINY RED CANDY-LIKE viruses and other various problems and nuisances of my dell laptop, and now here i am, happy as ever with my new macbook!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
None of the above.... my first computer was a mac (1994)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.