What made you decide to switch to Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 2GB ram, ATI HD2600 PRO, 320gb HDD
None of the above. I bought my first ipod a long time ago (3rd gen 10gb) It always worked, never gave problems, every apple product I purchased has never given me trouble and It made a difference. Since then I always wanted to give Mac a try but never had the money, recently I picked up a 20" 2.4ghz aluminum iMac with tiger then upgrade to Leopard about a week later. I have to say I love it!

Reaction score
Haven't switched, but close.

Can't decide between Imac and 15" notebook (similar price).

FED UP with Windows upgrades that incrementally slow down my computer. Did tonights Windows update, and notebook takes 3 minutes to load Explorer.

[and why I am I preaching to the converted ? ]

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I really never switched so to speak. A close friends Father bought a Lisa when they first came out then later a Mac Plus. I used them both and was hooked. Only problem was my folks were poor. I had to mess with Commodore 64's, Atari 8-Bit and ST and later Amiga then a few PC's before I could afford a Mac of my own, BUT I always wanted one and finally was able to own my dream computer and OS.

I have worked with Windows since 2.5/3.0 and DOS before that. I had to piece systems together from spare parts. We were that poor. I still love building computers but for getting things done I much prefer OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
I had to piece systems together from spare parts. We were that poor. I still love building computers but for getting things done I much prefer OSX.

Wow that brings back memories for me. I did the same with computers that were headed to the trash heap. Our dump would stack all the old computers up and I'd pull parts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac intel core 2 duo 2.4GHz 4GBRAM 750GIG HD FCS2, Aperture.
My Hp Pavilion froze constantly. I am a video editor, and i also had trouble with errors in Adobe Premiere. I have always heard a Mac is the best platform for video editing and is pretty much the standard in the industry, (besides AVID). After looking at what Final Cut Studio 2 could do, and what this new OS 10.5 had to offer, i put 2 and 2 together and came out with about 10, and ordered my new iMac and i just LOVE it. The Apple platform is easy to learn and i have had 0 problems with this computer..It just works! I am an Apple Convert and plan on buying only Apple hardware.

Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - MacBook Pro - iPhone - Nano - Touch
I had 2 Toshiba Satellites that cost me a bunch. The hard-drives in both of them failed in about 4 months. Lost some of my work (I'm a photographer). I got tired of reinstalling XP every 6 months or so on my custom 64bit AMD. I figured it wasn't worth my time to deal with a PC while trying to run my business. So my friend who has a Mac Pro with 2 30'' Cinema Displays and 2 MBPs helped me switch and now every member in my family owns a mac and iPod.

The only time I touch a PC is when I have to use the computers at school that havnt been converted to macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, Intel 2.4 Core 2 duo, 3gb RAM
The Look, the 24" screen, the all in one package, Windoz..... (and it was cheaper than a Laptop upgrade)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac
Since I can only pick one... I guess cause OS X looked good to me.

I was interested a long time ago... but without the ability to run windows as well... it wasnt a time for me to switch. Now that I can run windows on the intel macs it put me over the edge.

I also love the style of Macs...

lots of other reasons, but the biggest one of all is just that I dont game anymore. I wanted to get into doing more with photos, movies, custom art/graphic work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Iphone 8gig, inherited powerbook (beer+mac=power-brick)
Mine was given to me and for its age it suprised me with reliability and performance.
Never going back. If you gave me a $5000 dollar pc it would be on ebay within minutes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz 2GB Ram
My business Dell laptop was stolen. Being able to run windows allowed me to purchase fine mac book pro. For business I have to have windows for personal stuff it's Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz iMac with 3GB RAM
Windows Vista.. it decided to destroy sectors on my RAID because it was a desktop that thought it was a laptop. We fell out after that a bit.

I did manage to fix it, but then every time I tried to install anything or update anything it was always a complete hack to get it to work. I was constantly fighting with my computer, rather than just getting on and USING it.

Hubby was in the market for a macbook pro, so when he went to get one an iMac "accidentally" came home with us as well. Wow, what a difference! Haven't regretted it for a second.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black SR MB, 2.2, 4gb, 160gb
Windows Vista mainly. My Acer laptop came to the end of its life a few weeks ago. It's still working, but the HD is full and the screen is cracked, so it was time for a new one. Really didn't fancy Vista based on what I'd read, and didn't feel I should have to get an older MS OS just for it to be stable, and want to get an iPod after Xmas.

So once I sorted the finances it was a no-brainer really.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
Never Switched either, always used Mac. I am hearing a lot of people are switching because of Vista, at least people I work with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Retina
for the last 10 years i've been interested in switching as i got more and more fed up of windows but employment mandates got in the way. not this year and i'm happy i did after 2 toshes fired out on me in 18 months.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.8Ghz 4GB LEOPARD
Windows Vista and MS bloatware. I'm tired of all the constant updates to windoze, crashes and viruses. I want to spend more time using my computer rather than fixing it.

Reaction score
For me, I realized I had really just accepted my fate as a windows user with all it's compromises and frustrations. My first Mac experience was about 8 years ago and it too was not very pleasant. I've always had to run windows for specific apps so until the intel based Macs and adequate VM came around, a switch was not an option. A good friend has an iMac and once I played with it a bit I was hooked. Leopard sealed the deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2 GHz, 2 GB Ram, 120 GB HD
Without a doubt it's Windows Vista. I bought a really nice HP printer that accepted a bluetooth adapter which would allow me to print wirelessly from my laptop. Worked fine under XP. Upgraded to Vista and no-go. Waited for a while for new drivers to be written but they never came. I was told I would have to buy new equipment and I took them at their word and went directly to an Apple store and bought new equipment. Prints very nice now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
what is so special about unix?

(keep in mind, this is not me being cynical, this is literal ignorance) :Smirk:
yeah I'm interested in this well, what is so important about UNIX?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" imac 4 gigs Patriot RAM
I saw the imac at best buy and was in lust. I have a Dell inspiron laptop at home with vista that I hated and a Dell Vostro desktop at work that I liked. I didn't need a new computer but just got this one. The more I play with it the more I love it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.