F keys changed their functions before my eyes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black SR MB, 2.2, 4gb, 160gb
I have a new Black Santa Rosa Macbook, using Leopard 10.5.1.

The default F keys were set to match the pictures on the keys, i.e. F3 was Expose, F4 was Dashboard, F10 Mute, F11 Decrease Volume and F12 Increase Volume.

I just tried using them and their functions had all changed. I believe the older Macbooks had F12 as Dashboard, and the F keys seem to have switched to this older set of settings. When I go into Keyboard and Mouse, and hit Restore Defaults they do not revert to match the icons on the keys, but revert to the older settings.

I have been able to manually change the expose and dashboard keys back, but can't work out how to restore the volume keys, or why this has happened.

Help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
this happened to me a while back, try restoring defaults and then doing a restart, if you can't find something to fix this call tech support

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just discovered that the keys will operate as per their pictures, but only if I hold the fn key. Previously they worked just hitting the F keys alone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Yes they changed the keys, including the need for the fn key. I just went from an older MacBook to a new one. I liked the older setup, but the new one is okay.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have fixed it.

In Keyboard and Mouse > Keyboard, had to uncheck the 'use all F1, F2 keys as standard function keys'. Somehow it had been checked. Strange, as I've not used that window before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Thanks for the follow-up! I think my MacBook might get "changed" when I get home tonight. Will look at it anyway.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool. Glad it helped. Being new to Macs I wasn't used to the previous settings, and it seemed to make sense to have the F keys matched with the icons. If you uncheck the box as above the keys work as per the icons and you don't need the fn key.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.