Set-up a test server?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
I know OSX somewhere has a webserver built into it i.e. it runs PHP but don't know any more than that.

What I need to do is to restore a backup of my website onto the server of my Mac. The site uses an MYSQL database so do I need to install MYSQL, if so how? I also need something like PHPMyAdmin installed as I need to make some changes to my database and then re-export is an SQL file to apply to my live server.

So I guess my questions are:

Where do I put the files of my website i.e. where is the htdocs folder?
Where do I put my SQL database?
Do I need to install PHPMyAdmin or other such program and if so where is it or if it's pre-installed how do I access it?
I assume there is an Apache server or something in OSX, so how do I start it up?
If I wanted to update the versions of PHP and MYSQL that is running is there an easy way of doing this?

I've only ever done this by using an Apache distribution (includes Apache, PHP and SQL) on a PC.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
Sorted now. Just installed MAMP. Would still be interested how to do it without resorting to MAMP or other such products though

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.