Selling Laptop - Tips for cleaning personal info

Reaction score
I wanted to sell my powerbook since now I have a desktop and don't need it as much. Does anybody have any tips on how I can clean my personal info? Also, is it o.k. to sell it with all the software I put on it like Adobe products and Dreamweaver since I bought newer software for my new comp? I know it will increase the value of my laptop. How can I remove personal info w/o deleting important software?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard
what kind of info is on there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I wanted to sell my powerbook since now I have a desktop and don't need it as much. Does anybody have any tips on how I can clean my personal info? Also, is it o.k. to sell it with all the software I put on it like Adobe products and Dreamweaver since I bought newer software for my new comp? I know it will increase the value of my laptop. How can I remove personal info w/o deleting important software?
Just wipe the drive and do a completely new clean install of the OS.
Since you are including the software from Adobe, you would have to include the discs for them anyway, so just let the buyer install those.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
and if you lost the install disks, I would start by clearing out your home folder, then deleting address book contacts, removing any mail accounts, and deleting anything else you feel needs to be deleted.
However, I agree with D3v1L80Y, a clean install of the OS is your best bet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 w/4 gigs, Mac Pro Dual Quad 2.8's with 16 gigs of Ram, iMac 21" i5
Definetley a clean install!!! Simple, fast, and effective

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
Clean install. Unless you include the Adobe install discs, I wouldn't bother including them on eBay. The reason is that if I'm a buyer, I'm thinking you just downloaded the torrent if the install discs aren't included. Yeah, you might get a little extra money but it does look sketchy to some.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.