.MAC double emails

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Retina
my .mac account keeps sending me duplicate emails for everyone sent to my account. its maddening trying the find a way of stopping it.

help please. :'(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Is this an ongoing thing? Or just recent? Sometimes your ISP will hiccup and this will happen, but if it is ongoing, there is something else happening. Are you using it as POP or IMAP? Have you checked your preferences for mail staying on the server?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
It did it to me for the first time the other day...

Reaction score
Mine did it last week for one day then cleared up by itself.

OP
joyseeker
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Retina
mine does it with every email ever since i took the .mac service 6 months ago.

M

MacHeadCase

I think you need to contact .Mac support. On the UK website click on .Mac and you should see a link to contact them or a link to the Support page and there you will find a link to contact them.

I imagine this has nothing to do with your Mac or your setup but rather with the service at their end. If it isn't the case, they'll guide you through some troubleshooting procedures that will fix it, I'm sure: and if it is on your end, it would be helpful to others if you posted back the solution.

Hope you get this fixed. :)

OP
joyseeker
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Retina
i've just noticed ......

the problem is fixed.

sent an email to apple support yesterday (the chat option was busy). haven't got an email from them back yet but i get single .mac emails now yeppy. ;D

OP
joyseeker
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Retina
the problem is fixed.

sent an email to apple support yesterday (the chat option was busy). haven't got an email from them back yet but i get single .mac emails now yeppy. ;D

cancel last. i'm back to receiving duplicate emails. :'(

M

MacHeadCase

Email back. Or try to catch support in chat. I'd be very curious in seeing the solution to this. I still think this is something on their end.

I'm looking at Tiger's Mail.app right now and can't see how you can set it up to ask for duplicates.

OP
joyseeker
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Retina
no time to chat at the mo.

strangely the notification for your post was received as a single. but then i sent a test from another mail service.

screen shot attached with my name scrubbed to try and show i'm not jerking you around.

Picture 1.png

OP
joyseeker
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Retina
unbelievable

i switch off the macbook (running leopard) and when a power on mail has automatically deleted the duplicate (which sometime i notice it does) e i showed before.

then my NTL mail duplicated one email but not the following one.

edit: false alarm.... the 17.05 emails prove to be different and not duplicates.

Picture 2.png

OP
joyseeker
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Retina
.Mac support responded to my email last nite.

they asked for screen shots to illustrate the problem in Mail and then my .mac account. some of this mornings emails posed just right ;D

mail

232485865-L.png

.Mac

232485876-L.png

i still don't get why some (not all) emails downloaded by Mail are still stored in the .mac account.

OP
joyseeker
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Retina
this is the second .mac response

"My name is Lynn and I am a .Mac support agent. Due to the popularity of several new .Mac features, we are receiving a larger number of requests than expected. I am sorry for the delay in responding to your request, and will do my best to assist you in a timely manner.

I reviewed the attachments you sent along with your reply, and noticed that you have two .Mac IMAP accounts - one for your .Mac account name '[email protected]' and another one that is unnamed. It is likely that the second, unnamed account is causing the duplicate emails especially if the settings are the same as the '[email protected]' account.

If that is an unused account, please delete it and see if that eliminates the duplicate emails. Before you that, please save/back-up any emails you would like to keep on your computer to make sure nothing important is lost. Then delete the account by using the 3 simple steps in the following link:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mail/3.0/en/10015.html

If that is not an unused account, please make sure it has an assigned username so that the mail program can distinguish between it and your '[email protected]' account.

If the issue persists, please do not hesitate to respond to this email.

Thank you for your patience in this matter. Have a great day.

Sincerely,

Lynn
.Mac Support "

i first noted my mac mail today can't download mail from my .mac account.

then i noted the support email was duplicated but with a different time.

233698845-L.png

and then i couldn't find 'ACCOUNTS' in preferences.

233698858-M.png

M

MacHeadCase

Go quickly in your post above and edit out the email addies otherwise in no time at all you'll be inundated with spam in your mailboxes.

Change the [email protected] to something like name A T mac.com instead so webcrawlers won't identify the info as an email address.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.