iMac screen keeps blacking out...

Reaction score
Hi people, I've been searching all over the forums trying to figure out the problem I have, but haven't found any problem like mine.

I recently bought a 24" iMac, it was was working great at first, but now after about 6 months the screen is starting to go black.

It is NOT going into sleep mode because everything is still running...To get the screen to come back, I have to squeeze the iMac together as if the panels were loose...

Has anyone ever heard of this problem? It's starting to become more frequent. any help would be appreciated.

Thanks people.

Tom.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you have to actually squeeze the case to get it to come back on, take that into an Apple Store ASAP. You have 1 year Apple Care so you should have 4 months left. I have never heard of that one on a modern iMac. Could be a loose cable to the display. Take it in!

Reaction score
It is NOT going into sleep mode because everything is still running...To get the screen to come back, I have to squeeze the iMac together as if the panels were loose...

Are you sure you don't have the "squeeze iMac to wake from sleep" function enabled in System Preferences? ;D

You definitely have a problem!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.