How do you MUTE the starting sound?

I

iKwak

Did anyone successfully mute their Apple starting sound for their iBook?
Besides muting the volume before you turn off the apple, I like to find out other method in muting the starting sound.

How to? Freeware?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well since there seems to be no way to change it, I guess there's no way to mute / turn it off either, except the way you described.

It's probably built into the mac's Bios-equivalent (sorry, but I'm still a newbie!;)) which would have to be modified, which sounds difficult.../impossible..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
yea i wanna do that too, its not good if i want to be a bit discreet whilst starting up my laptop. unfortunately, the only thing that can be done is just plug a headphone into the slot to stop the noise coming outta the speakers.

OP
P

PinkPhishDoors

I did not think you could turn down the speakers before you shutdown and then it would not make the startup sound... does it work if you have multiple users?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
It is a good thing to hear the startup chime when your computer comes up. If you don't hear the normal chime. You know right off the bat that something is wrong. I know there is different sounds for the different problems the computer might find on start up. An example would be missing memory.

But to answer the question. As far as I know if you turn down the master volume, you will not heard the startup chime. That is what I do if, I don't want to disturb my wife.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
There is a little tool that lets you control the volume of the startup sound, and even mute it:

http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~arcana/index.en.html

It's a preference pane that's added to the system preferences, and works fine on my PowerMac.

But like some others said before, I wouldn't turn it off completely, as it is sort of a health indicator at startup.
I do understand though that, with a laptop, it can be annoying to people around you, especially when the sounds comes at full plast, in the middle of a library :)

OP
I

iKwak

Ditto.
Avalon said:
I do understand though that, with a laptop, it can be annoying to people around you, especially when the sounds comes at full plast, in the middle of a library :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Mac restarts are rare enough to make this thread an episode of Spongbob :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.