• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

So i want a camcorder...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa
Ive been looking for a good digital camcorder for about a week now and heres what ive found...

Most of the hard drive models use a proprietary video format(.MOD) that isnt mac friendly. I want something simple that i can plug in and use iMovie 06 with minimal fuss and dont want to have to hassle with converting this, changing that. AVI straight out of the camera like miniDV sure would be nice...

MiniDV seems to be on its way out as far as technology goes but they boast that it offers the best non-HD video quality due to its not using compression as much as hard drive or miniDVD models. The plus side to them is that they can stream AVI files straight out of the camera through firewire, although, you have to manually fastforward/rewind to find a specific clip or whatever.

MiniDVD...forget it...i dont want to have to haul around my external drive because my MBP wont read the stupid little discs. Not to mention, it still uses the MPEG2 format which wont work with iMovie 06.

So heres my delema...HD cameras are out of the question as i dont want to spend more than 500 bucks. MiniDV is looking promising, but im having problems finding a camera that seems decent for the price. I could blow a bunch of money on software to edit/and or convert the MPEG2 format, but that seems like a waste of time and effort on my part.

Someone please toss some wisdom out there and help a fella out!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You should check out a favorite site of mine called ConsumerSearch. For a wide variety of products, they scour the internet and magazines for reviews and do a summary of what "the experts" say and give a series of recommendations. They go into great detail over features to look for and so on. It's a GREAT resource for helping make decisions like these.
http://www.consumersearch.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15". 2.4GHz. - 2GB RAM. - 60GB HD@7200 rpm.
FWIW, Mini-DV is not on it's way out. It only seems that way because consumers can now play like the big boys for less money. As long as there are indie filmmakers with no budgets, the format won't be going away anytime soon. When those same people can afford HD, then you may see a decline in miniDV.

More importantly, you'll get more camera for your money if you think used. Inquire or search web site's at /of better camera shops in your area. These stores often have great used camera's available. Keep in mind, purchasing a quality used miniDV camera from a local camera shop will usually have been repaired or at least gone-over by the tech dept., before offering the sale. Be sure to ask questions before making any decision.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac intel core 2 duo 2.4GHz 4GBRAM 750GIG HD FCS2, Aperture.
I use Mini DV. If your not going HD now, its probably your best bet for ease of use and quality of image. also, if you go miniDV, look for a Cam that has 3CCD imagery, it will give you vivid color. probably as close as your going to get without going HD. I have a Panasonic PV GS500. Its been great. As far as pricing, it was $1000.00 last Christmas time, this year you can find them for around $500. Just my 2 cents worth. Good Luck!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
I sold my miniDVD video camera and bought a second hand Panasonic NV-GS15 miniDV camera with firewire and it is working fine with iLife 06. MiniDV camcorders are still around and are becoming cheaper now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.