Unstable browsers

Reaction score
I used Mozilla for 99% of the time over the last year and its lost its stability it seems. I switched back to Safari thinking I could make the problem go away but sure enough its unstable now too. I don't know what maintenance to do to clean it up , i clean the cache and i run disk permission repair but it does not help. When i stay its unstable i mean I have 3 tabs open and I will refresh. Refresh seems to be the issue or while a page in one tab is loading i try to switch to another tab and i cant or after i do i cant because of the beach ball spinny thing what ever the lingo for it is. I want my effortless browsing back. current uptime is only 1 day.

1G ram. macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
It sounds like you have an OS issue, not a browser issue. You're either running out of ram, or something else is going on. Are any other programs open at the same time?
You might want to give Firefox a try though.

OP
A
Reaction score
I always have iTunes, mail, and Adium on and i always stay under 50% unless running a game and then its about 70%

mozila is firefox? i have v. 2.0.0.11

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
aluminium PowerBook G4 first gen
Optimize your bloody os a bit :p But most likely you need to repair permissions. Go to Utilities > Disk Utility > "Your Disk"

Then first chose verify permissions just to make sure, then repair them. Then it can be good to verify the disk. However that can take a while.

For optimizing. http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11582 - However, backup your data. Just in case.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Would also suggest grabbing MainMenu or Onyx and cleaning out your Browser cache. These will clean the cache in all browsers at one click. You can do the same from within each browser though.

In Safari try Empty cache or Reset Safari. In Opera use Delete Private Data. Am sure there is an option like this in Firefox/Mozilla also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mozilla ≠ Firefox. Mozilla was a browser, which shares the same rendering engine as Firefox (and camino, flock, netscape, etc). Firefox is much leaner though, without all the bloated nonsense of netscape, mozilla, seamonkey.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Poor dear Brown Study...
Unfortunately Mozilla is the only Gecko browser that runs on Macs pre-OSX.

Reaction score
mozila is firefox? i
Yes. all Mozilla's most recent browsers are available for download here (older, archived browsers are elsewhere).

If you are using a Mozilla browser suite of applications now, SeaMonkey is the most recent. It uses Firefox's browsing engine.

Thunderbird is the Mozilla suite's email application, but as Thunderbird, it's an updated stand-alone app (as is the Firefox browser).

Mozilla has a users' board of forums here, where you can choose the app for which you need information. You can change the Search parameter from 1 day to a maximum of 3 months. Type Mac in the top-right search blank to help avoid hauling up tons of Windows questions.

OP
A
Reaction score
i said i already did permissions and cache cleaning. Thank you for the link for optimizing.

for the record i am using Firefox 2.0.0.11

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.