Broken Powerbook g4

C

cheezewiz

Hey Everyone,

Im pretty desperate for any ones suggestions, but first here is a little background info. A while ago I purchaced a powerbook g4. After being a mac hater all my life, I fell in love with it. Unfortunately shortly after the 90 day warranty expired I started hearing a suspicious rattleing and my cdrom would work on and off as it chose. I also suffered from my cds getting a circular scratch on them everytime I put one in the combo drive. Finally one day when I put a cd into the combo drive the whole powerbook locked up and would not respond. I rebooted and all was fine except the cd would not eject, the powerbook would not even detect the cdrom as a device in the compter. So after thinking about it for a while me and a friend opened the powerbook up useing the powerbook service manual which I found online. After struggleing to get it apart because of a poorly mounted stand off that was soldered to the logic board breaking off and a fan connector breaking we found the problem. A screw that was supposed to hold the combo drive in place came loose, got lodged in the drive and shorted it out. we removed the cd and screw and put the powerbook back together. Unfortunately I still dont think all the screws are in the right places, ill be sure to fix that next time its apart. The comdo drive still does not work. Im afraid that instead of only frying the drive that it may have fried an ide channel too. Also the fan doesnt work after we broke the connector, if all else fails i may have to solder the wires to the logic board.
I guess my question is has anyone had a problem like this before? Because I voided the warranty by taking it apart (even tho the warranty was expired) will apple still work on it for me? Is there someone who will work on it cheeper? I dont want to go spend 400 dollars on a combo drive to find out the ide channel is fried. Does anyone have any advice on what to do?

Also under the keyboard there is a small metalic looking object held in place by a piece of yellow see through tape. Anyone know what this is?

Thanks For The Help,

Colby

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you brought your powerbook new. There is two warrantees. The 90 day phone support and the 1 year hardware support. I can truely you voided the 1 year warrantee. Apple can fix it for you, but it will cost you. I don't have a recommendation on how to get it fixed.

OP
I

Icarus

Missing some screws, eh? (sorry...I'd be very sad if anything happened to my powerbook...I love it.)

OP
C

cheezewiz

rman said:
If you brought your powerbook new. There is two warrantees. The 90 day phone support and the 1 year hardware support. I can truely you voided the 1 year warrantee. Apple can fix it for you, but it will cost you. I don't have a recommendation on how to get it fixed.

anyone got any bright ideas? anyone have a cheep combo drive that i can buy from them. **** anyhting that will work in a 12 inch powerbook g4. if all else fails i guess i can put a drive in an external inclosure. Any way to test and see if the ide channel is fried without spending a butt load?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.