Time Machine Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook/13.3"/2.16GHz Intel C2D/1GB RAM/120GB HD/Ipod 20 Gig
When I try to back up with Time Machine it asks me for if I want to save it on my External HD....and then it says it has to Erase everything on my external before I can do it.

Obviously I don't want to erase everything on my external HD...so what am I supposed to do? It says to reformat it as well, but I don't know how to do it.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
You do this through Disk Utility which is found in the Utilities folder. Reformatting will erase everything on the drive. If you have enough space on the drive you try making a partition of the drive which should leave the remainder of your stored items in tact. This did not happen on my external drive when I first used Time Machine, so I am not sure why it has happened to you. Could perhaps be the way the drive was formatted in the first place is causing it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook/13.3"/2.16GHz Intel C2D/1GB RAM/120GB HD/Ipod 20 Gig
so i will figure out how to partition my HD? I have a Lacie external HD. I just don't want to take the chance of losing everything on it....that is where I have all my music backed up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
The hard drive might have been formatted with an incompatible file system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Time Machine will only accept an HFS formatted drive. What type of partition does your drive have? Do a Command+I (Get Info) on it and let us know...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
you can make partition by using "diskutil resizevolume" option. It doesnt erase any data on the disk. But if you're not familiar with the CLI of Linux/Unix, then don't try it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
CLI not needed. Leopard's Disk Utility does live partitioning.

attachment.php

Picture 1.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.