First crash?

Reaction score
Only had my MBP for one month just moved from vista.

I think i have just experienced my first crash.

I had a few apps open some mac os stuff plus some of adobe cs3 i then open a flash swf file from the desktop by double clicking on it, this opened in the flash player.

then my mac mouse button wouldn't work, the pointer still moved and the dock magnified but nothing would start, i'm using a wireless mighty mouse.

i did a control apple eject to reset but the mac mouse still didn't work i then did a full shut down and after that the mouse worked again.

i was unable to see if it was the mighty mouse as i have my system prefs setup to ignore the laptop mouse when a second mouse is detected.

does this sound like a mac crash or would everything just lock??

i couldn't right click on things either to do a force quit.

i know this may sound like a big deal over nothing but i was quite happy that the mac hadn't crashed.

if any one could shed any light on this i would be grateful.

thanks

ricky55

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Btw, it is Command+Option+Escape to bring up the force quit menu.

Also, didn't your MBP touchpad work? Or did you have it turned off?

OP
Ricky55
Reaction score
the touchpad didn't work anyway because i had the mighty mouse pluged in and when this is detected i have it setup so the track pad is deactivated.

I did control apple and eject (top right key) and that reset.

what would Command+Option+Escape have done?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go ahead try it. Command+Option+Escape brings up the force quit menu. Whenever an app freezes, you can go to this menu and force quit it. Much like the task manager in Windows (except, this actually works).

You can also bring up the force quit menu by going to the apple icon in the menubar, and then select force quit.

OP
Ricky55
Reaction score
i know this sounds a bit thick but which key is the command key? and which is the option?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
i know this sounds a bit thick but which key is the command key? and which is the option?

Command usually says command and also used to have an Apple on it as well as a Cloverleaf looking symbol. Option is right in the Middle between Control and Command and also says Alt on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haha! The command key is what you have come to know as "Apple key". It's right next to the space bar.

Option is between the Control and Command keys. You might know it as the Alt key.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.