Quick Trick - Launch App, Close Finder Window All-in-One

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
This is a quick trick I have just "recovered". I learned it when I first got my Mac, but then promptly forgot it again (so many keyboard shortcuts, so little time!). I spent some time recently experimenting and now have it under control again.

Ever been frustrated at having to use Finder to navigate to an application or utility of interest, and then having to follow up and close the Finder window after double clicking to launch the app? No more!

Hold down the Alt/Option key while double clicking. The app launches and the Finder window closes, all in one action.

A simple but most effective little "trick". Enjoy!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Thanks, I forgot about that one too. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Uh. The finder window doesn't close. Option clicking on another application hides the previous application while giving focus to the next one. So you can do this on any other app as well.

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi goobimama, it does on my machine. I am still running Tiger. Perhaps this changed in Leopard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Uh. The finder window doesn't close. Option clicking on another application hides the previous application while giving focus to the next one. So you can do this on any other app as well.

He's talking about option-double-clicking something. If you option-double-click anything in a Finder window (document, application, another folder) then the parent window will close as the new item opens.

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Of course, good catch technologist. Goobimama does say "option clicking". You are right, I should have noticed that. My post was about option double clicking. Does that make it better goobimama?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Ah. okay. This one I didn't know. Good one technologist...

Btw, Option clicking an app icon in the dock hides the current one and gives focus to the new one...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Tech is correct. Works great here in 10.5.1.

Thanks for the Tip. Never tried this one before.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.