ibook wont start up and cannot reboot HELP

Reaction score
Hello
Right the problem is that my ibook (g4 mac OSX 10.4) will not start, when I turn it on, it simply shows the apple loading screen, then shows the blue "Starting MAC OSX" screen with the blue progress bar and when the progress bar fills it just stays on that screen for hours! I want to try and restart it by using the start up discs BUT i can't seem to push the disc in - so there must aleady be a cd/dvd in the drive. I have tried pressing eject to no avail....does anyone know of any other way to get the disc out as there is no way I can get the start up discs in otherwise?
Or does anyone know of another way to fix this?
Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 300MHz 288mb RAM Mac OS X (Panther), iMac G3 500MHz (Panther), iMac G3 350MHz (Tiger), iPod
Welcome to the Forums!

Try reseting your PRAM.
To do this: Press "P" & "R" + Power Button

Then if that doesn't work, get a paper clip and undo it. With the tip, put it into the disc drive and slide it across til' it hits another (inside) and press in. Reminder: don't push "too hard" there are other components of the disc drive you can mess up by pressing to hard on the wrong thing. This should release the disc in the drive.

If you need more help, PM me...

Good LUCK!
iBook/iMacKid500 :D

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Another way to eject a CDROM/DVD is to reboot your system and then press and hold the trackpad button (or press the mouse button). That should eject the media in the drive.

OP
S
Reaction score
I cant reboot Ibook from cd...

I have managed to get the disc in my drive out now (re my last post) but I still have the problem that my ibook (g4 mac OSX 10.4) will not start, when I turn it on, it simply shows the apple loading screen, then shows the blue "Starting MAC OSX" screen with the blue progress bar and when the progress bar fills it just stays on that screen for hours!

I don't have the original restart cd but I do have the cds from dads imac which is pretty new and has operating system MAC OS X 10.4...should this work? I have tried putting it in...and nothing happens i just get the progress bar again and it never goes beyond.

Is there anything I should be pressing? Thank you!

Reaction score
Nope, won't work. Your Dad's iMac install disks will only work on the same model iMac. You need the black OS X 10.4 install CDs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Common threads merged.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Is there anything I should be pressing? Thank you!

Hold down V for Verbose mode and you will see a system log scroll the screen as it boots up. Pay attention to where it hangs and report back here with the results.

My problem was similar on my G4 PB 1.33 - turned out to be a failing hard drive - odd at 3 years old or so... I bought a 100GB from Frye's and "carefully" installed it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.