iWork08 boot up time is slower compare to Office 2003

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24'' iMac 2.8 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 500 GB HD. 15.4'' MBP, 2.6 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 200GB HD, iPhone 8GB.
I feel that iWork08 boot up time is slower compare to boot up time of Office 2003 in Windows Vista. How to make the boot up time faster for iWork08?

When I click Word 2003 in Vista, it instantly come up. When I clicked Pages in Leopard I have to wait for at least 4-5 seconds. Why is iWork08 boot up time so slow?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Because Word 2003 is Cached in Vista so it loads very fast and even in XP there is a part of Office that loads at startup speeding up load time. The bad thing about that is it's always taking RAM away from the system even if you are not using it. I would rather wait 4-5 seconds than waste RAM all the time.

Really 4-5 seconds? That is nothing to worry about. I do not consider that slow. I just tried it here and it's 4-5 seconds on iMac G5. Does not bug me in the least.

What part of iWork? Pages? IWork is the name of the group of applications, Pages, Numbers and Keynote.

Edit: I just tried Word 2004 on OSX on a fairly fast Mac and it took about 5 seconds for Word to load.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24'' iMac 2.8 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 500 GB HD. 15.4'' MBP, 2.6 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 200GB HD, iPhone 8GB.
Because Word 2003 is Cached in Vista so it loads very fast and even in XP there is a part of Office that loads at startup speeding up load time. The bad thing about that is it's always taking RAM away from the system even if you are not using it. I would rather wait 4-5 seconds than waste RAM all the time.

Really 4-5 seconds? That is nothing to worry about. I do not consider that slow. I just tried it here and it's 4-5 seconds on iMac G5. Does not bug me in the least.

What part of iWork? Pages? IWork is the name of the group of applications, Pages, Numbers and Keynote.

Edit: I just tried Word 2004 on OSX on a fairly fast Mac and it took about 5 seconds for Word to load.

Word 2004 on Leopard is the slowest among all. Word 2003 on Vista is the fastest among all.

I don't think Vista take more RAM than Leopard. I tried starting both program on the same computer, in Leopard it takes around 600 MB, in Vista it takes around 590+ MB...I think it is about the sam

However the big different is:
Under MBP 2.6GHz, 4Gig RAM,
Leopard 10.5 takes 35s to boot up.
Vista Home Premium takes 67s to boot up.

Is Vista always so slow on an Apple computer? It seems faster to me on Dell...even though I never count the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Word 2004 on an Intel mac will definitely be slow because it is still PowerPC code. The next update will be Intel native and be much much faster.

As for word launching faster than Pages, you should try making Pages launch on boot up. Just right-click on the dock, and select "Start at login". Then in your login options, (system preferences > User accounts), make Pages hidden. There you go. 1 Second startup!

Btw, my 2.0 Ghz + 2GB RAM Core Duo iMac starts Pages within 2-3 seconds...:)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Word 2004 on an Intel mac will definitely be slow because it is still PowerPC code. The next update will be Intel native and be much much faster.

As for word launching faster than Pages, you should try making Pages launch on boot up. Just right-click on the dock, and select "Start at login". Then in your login options, (system preferences > User accounts), make Pages hidden. There you go. 1 Second startup!

Btw, my 2.0 Ghz + 2GB RAM Core Duo iMac starts Pages within 2-3 seconds...:)

Dtravis7 sticks out tongue at goobimama! :D

You beat me by 2 seconds.

Sorry, could not resist!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
The secret power of iDefrag! :)

Anyway, it's nice to know there is one thing I can beat Dtravis7 at...:)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And part of that 67 second boot time in windows is loading the Office Quick Start into memory. Bet you can shave 8 seconds off the boot time by turning that off. Of course then, you would probably have to wait the 4-5 seconds for Office to startup since it would not be pre-loaded any longer.

This kind of shows where we are as a society today. Worried about 4 seconds of our time. I use to spend hours tweaking my windows boxes, turning off all the unused services, killing everything in startup via msconfig, lapping my cpu cooler to see if I could push it up another .1Ghz, etc. just to be able to shave another couple of seconds and boast the fastest boot time on my rig. It was a lot of fun, but what a waste of energy as I look back on it now.

FYI: Common useaage - Boot up is what happens when you power on your system and are waiting for the Operating System to load the desktop for you. Startup is what applications do once you have booted up into the OS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.