• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Play your Mac movies on your Xbox360

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.8ghz MBP6,2(4gb) | 20" iMac | 1.8 & 2.0 Mini(4gb) | iPhone4 | iPad-4Wifi
I searched here and did not see anything posted about this. So I thought I would link to a post I made on my gadget blog. I have really enjoyed pushing the movies on my mac to my living room through the Xbox360.

Do you have a Mac? Do you have and xBox360? Yes and Yes? You are in for a real treat.

I regularly take trips and rip DVDs I own down to .mp4 format. I use my MacBookPro for viewing. This is a lot easier than lugging around 3-4 DVDs with me everywhere I go.

I understand this is not out of the normal thing these days. Now what if I told you, that after you ripped that movie you could stream it, to lets say an xBox360. Yes from your Mac to your Xbox 360.

The recent Xbox360 firmware update allows users to play these ripped DIVX movies right on the Xbox360. Very cool in its own right. Now bring in a piece of software called Connect360. This runs in the preferences area on your Mac, Tiger or Leopard. It finds the Xbox on your network and links file folders to it. It also links iTunes and iPhoto libraries. All these folders can them be view and played on your Xbox360. Movies play directly on the TV your Xbox360 is plugged into.

So I have my 1.8 Intel Mini running Connect360. Plugged into that I have 1.5tb of hard disk storage. Both my Xbo360 and Mini are hardwired on the network. With a few clicks and button pushes on the 360 controller and I watching a 1.6gb Chronicles of Narnia file on my 46″ HD TV. How is the quality you ask? I use Handbrake to rip the movies, and it’s “Normal” format plays in 720×354. I use a 1500kbps bit rate and it is playing fine. Looks like a normal DVD to me.

This is going to save me tons of money buying the same DVD over and over again because the kids tear them up. Now I can just buy the DVD, rip it, then archive it in a safe place. Excellent Dude…guess “Bill and Ted Excellent Adventure” is getting ripped next.

[Link]

I hope this is a discussion that can happen here. It talks about ripping DVDs, but you should only rip DVDs that your own.

Moderators: Please delete if this discussion can not take place here. I searched for "ripping DVDS" and "HandBrake", and there was plenty of discussion on similar topics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.16GHz 2Gb OS X 10.5, 16Gb iPhone 3G Black
very late reply i know....but with connect360, do i have to click buttons on my mac to watch the movies? e.g. can i have my mac in the office, but use the xbox remote to browse the files my xbox shares with the mac then just click "play" on the xbox, or do i have to click play on my macbook? thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bottom-of-the-line MacBook
very late reply i know....but with connect360, do i have to click buttons on my mac to watch the movies? e.g. can i have my mac in the office, but use the xbox remote to browse the files my xbox shares with the mac then just click "play" on the xbox, or do i have to click play on my macbook? thanks

You click play on the xbox controller/remote. I tried out Connect360 and was impressed but it loaded my photos too slowly and the transitions were unbearably jerky. I ended up just plugging my mini into the HDTV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3,06 Ghz intel dual core
How about the sound of movies played this way. Is it 5.1 when streamed from xbox360?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.