Reason for Windows Vista

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
To run Windows programs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2.16 4gig 160GB
Compatibility with your work pc and apps? i.e. I do development for a software product that doesn't run on Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
To reinforce your justification for using OS X?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Because you like migraine headaches??

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Just curious - what are the benefits of installing Windows Vista on a Mac?

Do you mean instead of installing XP? If so, I can think of very few. Most of Vista's "enhancements" over XP can be grafted on via third party software. Personally, I find XP to be less obtrusive and more efficient (if that term can ever be applied to MS software).

So, aside from the need to run DX10 games (assuming you have DX10 video card, which I don't believe any of the Macs have at this point), I don't see any benefit at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
I run windows XP on my mac for only one reason. That reason is to access a national database that can only be access by a windows program

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 Ghz 4GB RAM OS X 10.5.1
I install Vista on my iMac, out of curiousity. Not impressed with it. I found in my experience that Microsoft "dumbed" down Vista.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I have found that the recent "Hi, I'm a Mac" ads have lost their sparkle, but there was one recently called "Podium" where PC presents a politician-like endorsement of Vista, in the theme of "don't give up on Vista". At the end, Mac comments to him that he is really dedicated to the Vista cause, at which point PC comments something to the effect "oh not really, I switched back to XP three weeks ago - much happier now"! :D :D

Why install Vista? It is rather like what friends used to say to me about why I liked to go running. Running (and using Vista) is great because it feels SO good when you stop!! :D :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
Why install Vista? It is rather like what friends used to say to me about why I liked to go running. Running (and using Vista) is great because it feels SO good when you stop!! :D :D

LOL couldn't agree more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
I've installed Windows via Parallels only to show my friends how my mac handles Windows...just another app... (and most of the times, Windows via parallels runs faster than it runs on their systems :p)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Excellent move goobimama. That may be the best single sales tool there is for Macs! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
And I think it works! Already four of my friends have bought/buying macs. Without any other kind of sales talk...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 1.83GHz 120GB Leopard and XP
Agreed - I have XP installed with BootCamp and just discovered this wonderful app (freeware) which gives you an options screen to decide which OS to boot into - very cool!

It will blow your PC friends away - I have XP just so I can use certain apps that have issues with the Mac on the poxy/proxy server that i connect through.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, 30gb HD, 1.33ghz, 512mb ram 12in screen, osx 10.3.9
just a quick question.....if i run windows on my mac...i could use my sansa mp3 player with my mac right?...because it only shouws up in windows on my pc

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
just a quick question.....if i run windows on my mac...i could use my sansa mp3 player with my mac right?...because it only shouws up in windows on my pc

Sure. Because you'd be running Windows, just as you are on your PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

to catch up on sleep while Microsoft updates all your software? :)

my benefits, use my copy of office 2004 for windows, and Visual Studio.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 Intel Al duo core 2.4G -- 4G RAM

I have always been an under-the-hood type person who has to see why my machines work. As an example, my dock sits horizontally in the upper right of my screen; and when I turn on my machine, my purple boot-screen has an AMIGA "Boing Ball" underneath a semi-transparent Apple (see attachment).

I did not use a third party program for these fun things. To me, it is more fun to know the inner workings and tinker with them.

I am not prejudice, I am biased. Biased b/c I have a decent working knowledge of Windoze and OS X. I use both. Apple by choice - Windoze out of job related necessity (its the system our school has set up for the network - and part of my job was to troubleshoot it). Of course, there are always areas of an OS that I will need to learn more about. This is why I like this forum.

The power of the user has finally been restored to me in OS X. I waited almost 20 years - stuck with Microsoft - to get back the power I used to have in the late 80's.

Anyway, here are some of the main reasons why I think we need Windoze on our Mac's:

1. Because Windoze if more Geek-friendly.
OS X is easier to use; actually works; makes installing anything a snap; has so many more amazing (practical) options; is structured upon a solid base - UNIX; rarely needs drivers to install new hardware; can run Windoze as an application; etc., etc., etc.. This obviously makes Windoze more Geek-friendly as an awful lot of IT people would be out of work if people stopped using Windoze. Windoze, by making such a great system, has insured that job security is something our Geeks need not worry about.

2. For healthy lungs!
Because OS X users' lungs probably are not as strong as those of Windoze users' ... we need Windoze. You see, once I switched to OS X, I noticed the lack of exercise my lungs get from not yelling at my computer anymore. In fact, OS X probably will cause lung cancer (or something) in all of us b/c our lungs will atrophy. So so make sure Windoze is installed on your Mac.

3. Windoze gives a sense of security and belonging.
Not b/c people using it are actually happy with their machines (toleration would probably be a better term), but the fact that we can all cry on each other's shoulders over the ridiculously frustrating (and frequent) actions performed by Windoze will help us bond together into a tighter, more understanding community.

4. To show we are intelligent.
You see, the majority of people out there just go along with the crowd (something I call the Moo-mentality) and get a Windoze machine b/c... well... everybody else has one ... so ... so ... we just ... um ... KNOW any smart person owns one ... and ... we ... KNOW ... um ... um ... Windoze is best ... just ... because! Yeah, that's right ... BECAUSE! And, after all, Apple is just some ridiculous techno-music-box-making-company with a bunch of snooty followers. So we will install Windoze to show the crowd just how intelligent we are. Why use a well tuned machine like a Rolls Royce when you can use a car that is a demolition derby survivor?
Use Windoze - everyone will think you are as smart as they are!

5. To support your local physicians!
C'mon, you won't get high blood pressure if you are not always frustrated at the way your computer "works!" Only Windoze can, daily, supply us with this wonderful state of health!

6. Windoze supports recycling!
Apple users probably, a lot less frequently, end up tossing their machines out of a third story window. Windoze users, by beating up their machines out of frustration (hey, three stories is a long way to drop, even for a machine as awesome as a Wintel box), have to buy new ones more often and therefore more materials get recycled (see other concepts about supporting our economy).

7. To help out your hometown dentist!
Windoze addicts can end up with only nubs for teeth after grinding them in anger hour upon hour. Your dentist needs your money!

8. Install Windoze for a great diet plan!
Frowning, yelling, ranting, raving, kicking, screaming, swinging baseball bats, and smashing things takes much more energy (hence, burns more calories) than being calm, peaceful, and happy. Out of the two, Windoze definitely produces calorie-burning activities more frequently!

9. Windoze helps to develop your thinking skills.
You get to use/improve your memorization abilities by needing to remember the complete 112 (new and improved) EASY steps Windoze takes to do something as horrendously complex as shutting off the computer. More memorization implies more brain power used which, in turn, implies better mental health as a result.

10. Windoze encourages education.
How many times I have had the privilege of spending hours (and hours, and hours) reaading books, doing research online, etc. (and thereby educating myself) due to the wonderful, amazing, top of the line documentation always included with any Microsoft application. I am sure the people writing Microsoft manuals have engineered their works to be totally useless. They are concerned about us losing our ability to reason and think things through. Windoze makes you read more and therefore must be good - install it now!

11. Windoze encourages more creativity in young minds.
Viruses, malware, Trojan horses etc. are all the result of creative thinking by people who can program. Granted, these people are evil for what they do, but, hey, they ARE creative if nothing else. No one (yet) writes much of this for OS X - so what fun and creativity are we offering these people?

12. Windows is nostalgic in nature. Hey, most of us all remember the good old days when we had serious, hard work interrupted by those wonderful little messages such as, "Error! You have a fatal error 3245.67xa, yes, Microsoft knows you just spent 3 years writing this paper, but we don't care - it's gone - so ha ha ha! Press the "OK - I love Microsoft anyway" button to continue. Now we can have these messages on our Mac's!!

See:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlAg4a-q5z8&feature=related

if you are too young to remember "Those Were the Days"

Those Were the Computer Days
lyrics by Lee Brewer
Sung to the tune of "Those Were The Days"

"grammar errors and Punctuation added to aid in pronunciation to keep in rhtyhm pattern)

Once upon a time, was a computer,
plagued by an O-S from Mr. Gates.
Remember ‘cause of him we used to suffer.
Stuck with a G-U-I we learned to hate

Those were the days, my friend.
I’m glad they’re at an end.
I’ll shout for O-SX is mine, Hooray!
(I-compute) the way I choose.
My time - no longer lose.
Windoze is gone! Oh joyous, happy day!

Days of Windoze crashing had enslaved us.
We lost our starry notions in that way.
O-S-X has loosed us from our shackles.
We smile at one another now and say,

Those angry days, my friend...
Bill Gates-'s gar-bage has been thrown away!
No need to re-install,
He had me punching walls!
My angers gone ... and blood pressure’s OK!

Just tonight, I’m sitting at my iMac.
Windoze-weary mind now filled with glee!
In the screen I see a new reflection...
Is that smiling face there really me?

My O S works, and crashing’s not or me.
Procedures take one click,
Instead of five or six!
And programs work the first time ‘stead of three!

Through the door, there came familiar laughter.
Gates-s’ marionettes did scoff at me.
Oh my friend, they're bolder … but we’re wiser.
Their blinders should instill us with pity.

Frustrations at an end.
My O S works, viruses are not for me.
No cryptic error clues.
No taking years to boot.
My G U I - now brings me ecstacy!

Enough fun,:)
Lee

AMIGA-OSX.jpg

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Enough fun,:)
Lee

OT, I know, but glad to see another Amigan here on M-F.

Does it not amaze you to see an OS come on a DVD or require 1GB of RAM to run comfortably. Particularly when we used to do many of the same things on an Amiga whose operating system came on three floppies, multitasked far better (and preemptively ) in a few MBs of memory.

But I digress....

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
CWA, as you probably know I am a fellow Amiga user. I miss the days of the Amiga for sure. My Amiga 500 ran great with 1 Meg RAM.

In a lot of ways we have come a long way but in some ways I miss the old days. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.