PowerMac G4 processor upgrade

Reaction score
I' m planning on upgrading my Quicksilver Dual 800 mhz processors with the Apple Dual 1 Ghz unit. Has everyone or everyone you know done this?
Will the logic board handle the upgrade. I know this is older Mac, but shes
never failed me. I want to do some upgrading to better meet Leopards standards. The three things I want to upgrade are Processor, memory and main harddrive to a 120 GB 7,200 rpm over the org 80 GB. Can anyone help me? Also will I have to update the filmware?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
How much are you getting the Dual 1GHz processors for? Go to OWC for 3rd party processors. I think a single 1.2GHz upgrade is under $200. I am not exactly sure what's compatible with your model but the site will tell you.
I had a Dual 1GHz MDD and it wasn't all that fast when running Tiger IMO. I would upgrade to something faster if you can. A lot of people upgrade with the 3rd party processors. I would recommend a new set over used processors from a MDD.
Get RAM and a HD from Newegg and you can pick up a 18x Superdrive from the OWC site for $40. That's the cheapest price I've seen for a SuperDrive, even for eBay standards.

OP
H
Reaction score
The unit is for 100 bucks with a 90 day warr. I've been looking at all the processors upgrades on OWC, mainly the 1.7 Ghz OWC model. I just worry about having to mess with the filmware update. I' m good at working on macs and am sure that I can handle change out the two units safely, I just thought that dual processors is better than single. I was also looking at the cache level the newer models have over the older ones. OWC states that they have 512k L2 and none on L3, Apple states 256K L2 and 2mb per processor L3. Just wondering which is better for the money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
$100 is a good price. I was thinking it would be in the $300 range. I would think the dual 1GHz with the L3 cache would be faster than the single 1.7GHz without L3 cache. But I don't really know.
OWC has some dual processor upgrades but they're more than $100. If the Dual 1GHz is suitable for your needs, get it. If you are satisfied with the Dual 800MHz and you're only upgrading for Leopard compatibility, the Dual 1GHz will add a nice speed boost for $100.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
All I can remember when researching this way back was a 1.4Ghz upgrade with the 1MB L3 was faster in many tests (Some real world) than a 1.8 with 512K L2 and no L3. I have a 1.8 Giga Design with a 512 L2 in my Digital Audio. It works great but if I had it to do over again I would get one of the upgrades with the large L3 instead.

$100 is a good deal for that Dual 1Ghz like Bryphotoguy already stated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.