Leopard, Boot Camp and Partition

Reaction score
I just bought a new 24" iMac. I upgraded to Leopard and when I ran the boot camp assistant (partitioned 120 GB) for windows (I am still angry I even did so).

At any rate, it said "you can't install on this... NTFS) or something like that... so I chose the "erase" option for the 120 GB partition... after windows was done installing... well, my NEW iMac would only start in WINDOWS....

So, I put the Leopard OS install disk in and restarted holding "C" and I'm now reinstalling onto the OS X space (380 GB) that was left after running Boot Camp assistant.

My question is this, (hoping that it the new install will work) how do I recover that 120 GB partition...

I tried parallels on my macbook pro and hated it... However, I have decided that I will NO LONGER use anything related to Windows on any of my Macs...

Thanks in advance for the help!

OP
mac880104
Reaction score
Ah.. Boot from the Installer DVD, select Disk Utility from the Utilities pull-down menu, click on the informational disk icon (not either of the partition names) and a partition tab will appear on the right. Thanks~

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
well, my NEW iMac would only start in WINDOWS....
Here was the problem. You have to hold Option key while booting to select your startup disk...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
Dont know why apple never thought of making it like rEFIt to bring up the boot camp menu by default. Why do they need the user to press the option key for that.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
For me it would be a pita for it to waste the time loading a boot menu as the times I want to boot into windows is well below 10% of the times the system gets re-booted. Think for anyone that boots into OS X instead of windows/linux on their Mac greater than 50% of the time, automatically booting into OS X would be preferable than dealing with a wasted step more than 50% of the time.

Even when dual, triple... booting on my windows rigs, I always set the boot menu to auto load XP in 2 seconds. That way, I didn't have to continue sitting there waiting for the boot menu before going to refill my coffee cup.

OP
mac880104
Reaction score
No way!

Here was the problem. You have to hold Option key while booting to select your startup disk...

I can't believe that... I wiped the drive and reinstalled everything again... What a waste of time... and I have to agree with the other statement about having to hold the option key- you would think they would make it automatic or allow you to set up which OS you want to start with...

Is there anyway to do that?

THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
The thing is, after you install Windows, you are to install your mac drivers. When you do that, you get to choose your startup disk right from the Windows control panel.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.