Keyboard is disabled after my macbook goes to sleep

Reaction score
this happened before, but I never really cared. I figured that when I upgrade to Leopard this problem would disappear with it. Unfortunately, the same problem still holds true after the upgrade. My laptop went into sleep mode, after I "woke" it up, only the trackpad and mouse button worked. Even my caps lock key was disabled.

Anyone have a clue how to fix this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Do you have anything plugged into the laptop? If so.. try disconnecting them and see if this problem continues to occur.

If that doesn't work, then does this happen with "any" user? Try making a new user and see if it affects that one.

Also... do you hear any signs of disk activity? I did some Googling on this, and in some forums there was speculation that the system is merely tied up doing a Spotlight indexing, for example. Someone also said they were able to recover from this "lockup" by holding down a key for several seconds.

One near-sure way to see if this is hardware or software is to create a new partition on your system and do a clean install of OS X onto that partition and make a new user on it (don't migrate users, don't install any other apps). If you boot from that "clean" partition and continue to have troubles, then it's a near-certainty that the problem is the hardware, or less likely a bug with the OS and that particular machine.

OP
R
Reaction score
anyone else?

I also have a problem using "restart"

instead of restarting, it'll just shut down, which means I'll have to turn it back on.

I feel like Leopard is really buggy in general. Sometimes iTunes will be playing (I'll have it in a space quadrant) and it'll just disappear, the only way to fix it is to shut it down (cmd + tab + Q) and restart it again.

Ok, enough venting. I'm going to wait for an update, then find a way to fix it. Can use my time machine backup to revert my HDD back to the old way if I were to delete most of my files to make room for a second OSX partition?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook | Core2Duo 2.2GHz | 4GB RAM | 120GB HDD | OS X 10.6.2
Yeah, I've experienced some issues with the keyboard as well. But at least the mice still works and I can still save things and restart (which usually fixes things). This has only happened to me a couple of times tho.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
For the keyboard problem, Apple has released the update today. I just installed it. So install the update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
update out:

This update addresses a responsiveness issue on MacBook and MacBook Pro notebook computers. Some MacBook and MacBook Pro systems may occasionally experience a temporary suspension of keyboard input which can last a minute or longer. The Mac OS X 10.5.1 update is required before installing the MacBook, MacBook Pro Software Update 1.1.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.