iMac 20" or 24"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
it is not necessary but depending on what you are doing it is nice to have. I have dual monitors at work and home. It has been very useful for when I am doing multiple app tasks such as having open a couple of spreadsheets or word docs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" IMAC ALU, 2.8GHZ, 4GB ram, 750gb HD, Leopard OSX.
Here is my opinion for what it's worth:

2.4 versus 2.8 processsor? You won't notice the difference unless side by side and then it's marginal.

Extra ram? It can be added anytime later for less than Apples price.

20" versus 24" ?

Well worth the extra and you cannot upgrade a 20" Imac screen to a 24" Imac screen.

Buy the least powerful, lowest specced 24" Imac.

You can upgrade ram, hard disk later and the cpu won't be noticeably slower.

I had a 2.4 and bought the new 2.8 and there is not much difference in real world computing.

Have fun with whatever you buy!

Reaction score
I would Suggest going to the apple store and looking at both models.
More than likely if you can afford it you will get the 24" as it is very impressive, I got a 20" the other day and have been very impressed, straight out of the box the screen is not so hot but if you calibrate it properly it look very good.

As for memory I would do that yourself via a 3rd party as it will save a lot of £$£$£.
Wireless as previous poster mentions can be a pain and don’t forget you will loose the two usb 2 sockets if you go wireless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz iMAC w/ 4GB Ram - 17" 1.67ghz PBook G4 w/ 2GB Ram
Another thing to possibly consider is desk space. If you opted for the 24" but had no room to push the monitor back, you could end up with neck strains during prolonged use.

Either way, have fun with your purchase!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
Like they say bigger is better...lol

I would go for the gusto and get the 24"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Imac/2.4ghz/2 gigs ram
I would Suggest going to the apple store and looking at both models.
More than likely if you can afford it you will get the 24" as it is very impressive, I got a 20" the other day and have been very impressed, straight out of the box the screen is not so hot but if you calibrate it properly it look very good.

As for memory I would do that yourself via a 3rd party as it will save a lot of £$£$£.
Wireless as previous poster mentions can be a pain and don’t forget you will loose the two usb 2 sockets if you go wireless.

I was in this same situation, the intense decision between 20 and 24. This is the best advice on here. I went to the apple store and spent a good 20 min on each machine doing normal stuff I do everyday and just took mental notes. Long story short I just ordered the 24 inch. Gets here in 3 days! Pretty psyched.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 2GB ram, ATI HD2600 PRO, 320gb HDD
I bought the 20" 2.4ghz and I love it, I already have a 32" hdtv in my room so i dont need it for movies or anything. I recommend the 20" and take the extra money and spend $105 and get a 4gb ram kit from newegg. Just spend $300 later on like a 22" dell ultrasharp monitor and run duals. Thats what I'm doing. why get 4" when you can save a bit more and get 22".

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 1.25 GHz PowerPC G4
thanks for all your advice guys. i ended up getting the 24" and dont have to pay anything. i might get the RAM upgrade later via a 3rd party. i find it to be a bit bright though so i turned the brightness down about 1/4.

Reaction score
I would suggest buying what you think you need. if you just do stuff like music and aim, then just get the 20 inch with the 2.0ghz processor, and stay at 1gig of ram, you don't need a powerful computer unless you will be doing graphic designing or web page editing or making music or whatnot

Reaction score
thanks for all your advice guys. i ended up getting the 24" and dont have to pay anything. i might get the RAM upgrade later via a 3rd party. i find it to be a bit bright though so i turned the brightness down about 1/4.

Congrats and enjoy :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook, 1.42GHz, 1.5gb RAM; 15" MacBook Pro, 2.2GHz, 2gb RAM; 5gb 1st gen iPod; 40gb 4th gen iPod
good choice, you will really enjoy the extra screen space.

best buy has RAM on sale for <$40 all the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
It's a good choice. I agree. If you're happy with you mac then you made the right choice whatever that may be.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.