Closing lid and still listening to music in iTunes.

Reaction score
I'm going on a 10 hour flight and I'm leaving my iPod to my dad, but I want to listen to some music on the plane, so I'm thinking close the lid and listen with iTunes. The problem is, the computer goes to sleep..

How can I do this? Basically I just want the display to go to sleep, and iTunes still playing. And maybe the IR for remote play/pause, next/previous.

And also a question, if I manage to do this, this would save me some battery life, right? I mean the display is taking a lot I guess.

Anyone?

Cheers! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Just dim the display all the way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
Just dim the display all the way.

that wont turn the display off, the pixels will still show what is on the screen.

i set a hot corner up in my top left to "sleep display"

works well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
that wont turn the display off, the pixels will still show what is on the screen....

So? Unless you have OCD [and nothing against those that do], does this matter?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
that wont turn the display off, the pixels will still show what is on the screen...

Well, I didn't believe it since that's what I do all the time.
Tried it with only my wallpaper on the desktop and nope can't see a thing.
So then tried leaving the browser up, and sure enough, if I hold it up to the light and look at the screen hard enough, yep, can see the white background peeking thru.

Now my desktop rig, I put the monitor to sleep. But don't have these handy dandy keys to dim the screen like my MBP. Of course it's all a matter of personal preference and what seems to be easiest for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So? Unless you have OCD [and nothing against those that do], does this matter?

OCD? your kidding right? the display is still on if you do it your method, i was just providing the correct alternative to ACTUALLY sleep the display.

funny guy

try to provide proper help and people mess with you, amazing .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
sounds like a good excuse to go buy a new Nano!! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
perhaps the OP would like to close the lid for safety purposes? someone walking by would be much more likely to hit the computer (or bump it while getting stuff from up above) if the screen was open. A lot of times I wish I could leave my screen closed while its downloading stuff/playing music because its not in the way as much and seems less vulnerable.

To the OP: yes, there are programs that keep the computer from going to sleep. However, I don't know if they turn off the screen or not. Some people will say this is bad because the heat from the computer is dissipated mainly through the keyboard, which is complete BS (I run windows on my mac book when datalogging the car, and I close the lid so that it doesn't fall off the seat of the car and break and it never overheats) but I have never tried any of the apps and don't remember any names :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Here's what you do: Play a track in iTunes. Dim the display completely. Then close the lid. When it goes to sleep, plug in a USB drive or an external mouse. It should wake up (click the external mouse if you have to).

Next take your remote control and press play. :) (make sure you don't have any other high processor tasks in the background cause it is not advisable to use the macbook pro with the screen closed. That's why you dim the brightness.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Here's what you do: Play a track in iTunes. Dim the display completely. Then close the lid. When it goes to sleep, plug in a USB drive or an external mouse. It should wake up (click the external mouse if you have to).

Next take your remote control and press play. :) (make sure you don't have any other high processor tasks in the background cause it is not advisable to use the macbook pro with the screen closed. That's why you dim the brightness.

I don't think that will work. You need at least a monitor plugged in and be plugged into an external power course. Otherwise it goes right back to sleep./

OP
Cdnalsi
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, but I don't want to disable sleep mode (InsomniaX), and keep the display running - even if dimming it all the way down.

The thing is, I want to keep the lid closed so my battery won't drain as fast, and also, keep the display on sleep.

Isn't there like a small app that you push a button and the display goes to sleep?

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
OCD? your kidding right? the display is still on if you do it your method, i was just providing the correct alternative to ACTUALLY sleep the display.

funny guy

try to provide proper help and people mess with you, amazing .

Well, the point is to reduce the power draw on the battery. Turning off the backlight does that. With the backlight off, who really cares what's going on on the screen?

And, FYI, there is no option in Tiger to sleep the display; it's new in Leopard. Turning the backlight to zero works in all OS versions, and can be done right from the keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, the point is to reduce the power draw on the battery. Turning off the backlight does that. With the backlight off, who really cares what's going on on the screen?

And, FYI, there is no option in Tiger to sleep the display; it's new in Leopard. Turning the backlight to zero works in all OS versions, and can be done right from the keyboard.

cant u just sleep the display from the screensaver after 1minute?

the LCD is technically still on, and using still a small amount of power, with the pixels on and light off . thats the point i was trying to make.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.