RAM voltage for my G4? Does it matter?

G

greenapple

I just ordered 512MB of Ballistix PC4000 RAM for my Dual 1ghz G4. I just noticed that my G4's specs state that I should use 2.5v RAM. The stuff that I ordered is 2.8v, but the folks at crucial say that it will work...

Veteran Mac geeks! Bestow your wisdom upon me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
greenapple said:
I just ordered 512MB of Ballistix PC4000 RAM for my Dual 1ghz G4. I just noticed that my G4's specs state that I should use 2.5v RAM. The stuff that I ordered is 2.8v, but the folks at crucial say that it will work...

If Crucial guarantees it to work with your machine, you shouldn't have any problems. At worst, you'll just send it back and they'll exchange it for a different chip.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
greenapple said:

Why did you buy PC4000 RAM?!? Your Mac only needs PC2100 RAM!!
Allthough I think it will run with the PC4000, it's wasted money, because they will only run at 266MHz (PC2100) instead of the speed they are made for, 500MHz(PC4000)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Sometimes it helps to read the specs before buying... :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
greenapple said:
Are there any benefits to using faster ram?

No. The RAM will only operate as fast as the system bus.

OP
G

greenapple

Thanks for the info...

I'm returning the Ballistix and ordering something more appropriate. I called Crucial and the tech support guy agreed that their website was pretty misleading in it's recommendations. That's what I get for not doing better research...

OP
P

PinkPhishDoors

Your going to be one of those guys who ignorently orders an imported BMW from South africa. Come to find out... The wheel is on the wrong side (right or left... depending on where you live)

OP
G

greenapple

Anarkhy, could you possibly be more of a putz?

anarkhy said:
Your going to be one of those guys who ignorently orders an imported BMW from South africa. Come to find out... The wheel is on the wrong side (right or left... depending on where you live)

-It's spelled "ignorantly," not "ignorently."
-Most of us learned to capitalize the names of countries in elementary school. That includes South 'a'frica.
-Who orders their BMW's from South Africa? I got mine at my local dealer.

What a ****...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
greenapple said:
-It's spelled "ignorantly," not "ignorently."
-Most of us learned to capitalize the names of countries in elementary school. That includes South 'a'frica.
-Who orders their BMW's from South Africa? I got mine at my local dealer.

What a ****...

Anarkhy's posts sometimes might not be useful, and only he understands them, but that's not a reason to call him a ****...

Please stay polite, or I'm pretty sure you will be banned by the moderators.

OP
G

greenapple

I couldn't resist...

Avalon said:
Anarkhy's posts sometimes might not be useful, and only he understands them, but that's not a reason to call him a ****...

Please stay polite, or I'm pretty sure you will be banned by the moderators.

Sorry, but he was being a D. I called him on it. End of story. Sometimes it's hard to not state the obvious... :cool:

I'll keep it clean.

p.s. Thanks for your earlier post. You saved me some money! Where should I send the check? :D

OP
O

Orion119

South Africa has the largest left column car manufacturing plant that Mercedes Benz owns, and you can usually get them cheaper. I don't know if it's the same with BMW, but it's not a long shot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Orion119 said:
South Africa has the largest left column car manufacturing plant that Mercedes Benz owns, and you can usually get them cheaper. I don't know if it's the same with BMW, but it's not a long shot.

Aha...interesting...

Who cares?!?
The post about the cars had absolutely nothing to do with the initial question...so your post does even less :confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
greenapple said:
Sorry, but he was being a D. I called him on it. End of story. Sometimes it's hard to not state the obvious... :cool:

I'll keep it clean.

p.s. Thanks for your earlier post. You saved me some money! Where should I send the check? :D

Just keep it for the next upgrade ;)

OP
P

PinkPhishDoors

I'm such a **** :( lol. I didn't mean anything bad by it. and i spell things wrong alot because i don't proof read and sometimes i am writng posts while I'm in my massage chair, like right now.

OP
G

greenapple

anarkhy said:
I'm such a **** :( lol. I didn't mean anything bad by it. and i spell things wrong alot because i don't proof read and sometimes i am writng posts while I'm in my massage chair, like right now.

No worries...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.