Registration info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6 GHz Intel Core Duo; 4 gigs RAM
I unpacked my new MacBook Pro on Saturday and switched it on. When it asked me for basic details like name, age etc. I mistyped by error and now I have a 'Home' folder created with a wrong spelling. How can I restart the registration process so that it starts from scratch?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...am a Mac Noob!!!

Cheerz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Go into System Preferences > User accounts. Create a new user with admin rights. Then log into that new user account. After doing that, delete your other user account with the wrong spelling (make sure you backup your documents and such before doing that. Basically, most of the stuff that comes under your Home folder)

DO NOT rename the home folder name cause that will just delete all your files...

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go into System Preferences > User accounts. Create a new user with admin rights. Then log into that new user account. After doing that, delete your other user account with the wrong spelling (make sure you backup your documents and such before doing that. Basically, most of the stuff that comes under your Home folder)

DO NOT rename the home folder name cause that will just delete all your files...

Thanx a lot bro'. This was spot on..:)

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought the problem above was completely solved but it appears that its not totally so. Sure by creating a new Admini user and deleting the initial one I managed to get rid of the old 'Home' directory but on opening 'Finder' on top I still see the name I typed in originally which I misspelt. Thus on top where we have:
<name>'s MacBook Pro

I need to change the name here.

Thanks in advance ppl.

T

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have you re-booted and then logged into the new account?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.