Archive and Install or Erase and Install?

Reaction score
I'll be getting my copy of Mac OSX Leopard in a couple weeks and I've been wondering how I should install it. I have an aluminum 2.0ghz iMac that I bought earlier this summer as well as a 500gb Firewire 800 drive. Should I back up my important stuff and do an erase and install or just do an archive and install?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
I've done both the Erase and Install & the Archive & Install. As one would think, I had absolutely no problems with the erase & install on my MacBook. I did an archive & install on my Core Duo MacBook Pro and had no problems, however when I did it on my Core2Duo iMac I ran into one hiccup which was having problems getting spotlight to index my internal & external hard drives. Ultimately, it did it and all is well. I had no major problems with mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
no matter what operating system we are talking about linux, windows, os x....i always prefer erase and install because it is a 100% fresh start. i personally abhor upgrading os's
-chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.