Imac hard drive problems

Reaction score
Ok I just took one of my old EIDE hard drives out of a pc and I want to put it in an older Imac powerPC. Right now all I have is a firewire hard drive thats being used as a bootable hard drive with osx on it. My question is how do I put the new drive in take OSX off of the bootable drive and put it on the EIDE hard drive, I don't have the OSX disk, the os is all on the boot drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
carbon copy cloner or superduper

OP
A
Reaction score
Ok well I have another question right now the boot drive only has 224mb of free room left. Will I still have enough room for those programs? Im constantly gettin messages that state my startup disk is full.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Um...I think your gonna need a bigger hard drive, and I won't even say sooner or later. I'd say you need a new one now. Unless you remove some of our applications before your make your carbon copy and then after you free up the firewire drive, store your startup on the eide drive and your apps on the firewire drive.

OP
A
Reaction score
ok well the EIDE drive is 80gb and the boot drive is 4. What I want to do is take the boot drive off completely and use the 80gb instead. How would I clean up enough files without deleting my pictures and things. Thanks for the help im a wiz when it comes to pcs but the mac confuses me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Carbon Copy Cloner is free I've been told...superduper is not. But if you want better assurance that it will be a solid process I would fork out the cash for superduper. If you want to free up a bit of space, there is a free program called monolingual and you can use it to delete the extra language packs, that you don't use. Just be sure not to accidently delete one that you need in the future, its quite hard to get them back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.