File opening privalages – Help needed!!

Reaction score
I have a lot of experience with Macs, ever since I can remember we have had Macs at home (even back to the ones with floppy disc drives.) But I've never come across a problem like this.

Lately I have brought a Mini Mac with OSX 10.4.11. I have two logins. One Administrator login, and a standard user login which I use.

I copied all my documents over from our other iMac into my home directory on the Mac Mini, while logged into the Admin login, this may be the problem? The problem is: when I open any files from my Home directory (standard user login,) I am asked for the Admin name and password. Whenever I open a word document, it says Read Only. Anything I open from my desktop works alright (word documents and all.)

Is there something which I can turn off in the System Preferences?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
Check the permissions on the home folder of the standard user. It migght be a permissions issue.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I believe you were the admin user when you copied the file over into a regular user account. This would cause you the problem you are having. If you still the data on the other imac. it would be easier to copy the data to the new system as the regular (non admin) user. Then as the admin user remove the old (previous version) data.

Or if you so choose (as the admin user), do a command I (get info) on each of the files/documents. Click on the detail twisty at the bottom. Then click on the pad lock. Then you can change the owner of the file/document to the regular user. This should resolve your problem.

OP
M
Reaction score
I believe you were the admin user when you copied the file over into a regular user account. This would cause you the problem you are having. If you still the data on the other imac. it would be easier to copy the data to the new system as the regular (non admin) user. Then as the admin user remove the old (previous version) data.

Or if you so choose (as the admin user), do a command I (get info) on each of the files/documents. Click on the detail twisty at the bottom. Then click on the pad lock. Then you can change the owner of the file/document to the regular user. This should resolve your problem.

Thanks! I clicked the pad lock and fixed the files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.