DVD Player Quality?

Reaction score
I've played a few dvds and saved video_ts folders through the DVD player program on my mac and I noticed that the quality isn't "dvd quality". There's a lot of noise on DVDs, but my quicktime files play flawlessly. I have an Aluminum 2.0ghz iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
You mean the same files play fine in quicktime? Cause if it different files, then how can you judge quality? You might be comparing high def quicktime trailers with 480i+crappy quality DVDs. Note that LCDs are known to show more grain than CRTs, so if you have just upgraded yourself to a large monitor, then yes, you will notice grain here and there...

OP
BigSexy135
Reaction score
sorry if I was unclear. When playing dvds and video_ts folders, it is generally grainy and the color is slightly saturated. When I play dvds on my 6 year old dell they play at better quality than this. Could this be because my dell has a crt monitor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Look. In my experience I've found many a DVD to be slightly grainy when playing it on an LCD screen. Also, since the LCD is I presume much larger than your CRT, there will be more pixelation.

As for colour saturation, you can easily adjust that within the DVD player, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The DVD source could also be a factor. If it's an older movie, they generally don't look too good on DVD. If it's a somewhat newer movie, then the problem lies elsewhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Problem #1 is trying to compare DVD vs. TS files using 2 different computers/monitors. Why don't you just compare the DVD play vs. the TS files play on the same computer/monitor?

Maybe I'm just not understanding, because this seems way too obvious.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.