don't know what's going on

Reaction score
I'm having some problems, I think. Don't know if this belongs in Hardware or Software. If it belongs some where else besides here, please let me know and I'll post it there.

What it is doing (or not):
My computer isn't opening programs that are there and that I have been able to access this morning. For example, when I click on my Neooffice icon to open the program it begins. However, it quits responding and does so before the program can be opened. I've tried to open my saved documents from that program and I get nothing.

What has changed due to things I've done:
I recently purchased a external hard drive enclosure for an old desktop computer I had laying around. Was checking those contents today and decided to change my desktop picture to one from that hard drive. This is when things started to mess up on me.
I changed the desktop picture and immediately noticed my desktop icons were missing or invisable to be more precise. I can find them by making a large selection with the mouse and mouse button but they aren't up all the time like before.
I figured it had something to do the picture I selected so I went back to the previouse one I had.
All the folders and documents show to be there when I open finder and click on desktop.

The external hard drive was from an old pc. Is there anyway there was a virus on that hard drive that I might have transfered over? I keep thinking that if I restart my macbook pro it will make everything better. Some how I don't think that's the case.

This is only the second problem I've had with my computer in 1.5 years. The first was with the mail software and still don't know what's going on with that. Please help!!!

*EDIT* Now it seems only some of the desktop icons show up on the actual desktop. I was able to highlight the hidden ones before but they seem to be missing now. However, they still show up in finder under desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Firstly, no pc virus can infect your mac

You probably just need to run a few maintenance tasks, and repair permissions. MainMenu can help you out there

http://www.santasw.com/

Run all its functions and then restart, let us know if this helps

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.