Am I messing up my macbook?

Reaction score
I work at an IMAX theater and regularly clean my MacBook Pro's glossy screen with Kimwipes and denatured alcohol...it's the same stuff we use on the projector's field lens....SO i figured if it's good enough for the IMAX projector lens...it should be good enough for my mac

but then I read all of these posts about using water and a microfiber cloth and now I'm worried.

someone please tell my I haven't started to mess up my screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 gig HDD @ 5400, 2 gig RAM, nVIDIA 8600
nope, probably not a big deal. i would personally use designated cleaners considering the screens on the notebooks are not glass like (i'm guessing) the iMax (haha) projectors.

but then again, i have a friend who uses straight ammonia...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - MacBook Pro - iPhone - Nano - Touch
Ya, Your MBP screen isnt glass like the lens on the projector. I have never seen/heard of alcohol ruining an LCD monitor. So you should be good, but I'm not 100% positive on that.

Just in case, wipe your screen with a wet (water) paper towel then dry it. It should take off any residue the alcohol left on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Ya, Your MBP screen isnt glass like the lens on the projector. I have never seen/heard of alcohol ruining an LCD monitor. So you should be good, but I'm not 100% positive on that.

Just in case, wipe your screen with a wet (water) paper towel then dry it. It should take off any residue the alcohol left on it.

Alcohol should never be used to clean an LCD monitor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Like Eric said, alcohol should be kept away from your LCD screen. Just use a damp cloth, that's more than enough to wipe away dust and smudges.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Alcohol will soften certain plastics and rubbers. This softening can cause discoloration with some of these materials. The softening is usually temporary. However, anything that comes in contact with the surface while it is softened, e.g. dirt, fingerprint, etc., can become permanently bonded to the surface as it hardens again. It is best practice to keep alcohol and ammonia away from these type surfaces.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.