How Do I Upgrade 9.2 to X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac PowerPC G3 350Mhz, 512MB of RAM, OS 9.2.2, 8MB Video Memory
I would like to know how to do this.....

What parts would i need (HD, Processor ect.....)
Whats the easiest way (WITHOUT buying a new one lol....)
If anyone has posted something like this before please let me know and direct me to the post

Thanks....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
have a look at lowendmac.com

look for your machine and you will find any info on what versions of OS X will work on your set-up

I would advise 1 gig of ram and you may eventually need a hard disk upgrade - see how it goes.

old versions of os x (I am guessing 10.3 will suit you) can be bought off ebay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I had an identical model blue iMac and they are a great machine but are showing their age and upgrading is not at all easy. It will handle Panther with 1GB RAM as loiushen recommends.

Upgrading the HDD is a fair cow as it is under a stack of gear which must be removed, and the video card will not handle OS X too well. As much as you love your machine, you will in time consider a move to a G4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
You should upgrade your HDD since OSX will take up at least 1 GB if you do a minimal installation. I would recomment against it on a G3 350 because it will be dog slow, even with 512MB. The processor just can't keep up. Jaguar might work better, but I never liked Jaguar.

I have Panther installed on my kids G3 500 DV iMac and it runs okay with 384MB RAM.

I did install Panther on a G4 350 (Yikes configuration) without any issues. On that I'm using a 10GB drive only because it's for email and internet, nothing else.

Like I said, you can do it, but be prepared to go back to 9.2 because it will be intolerably slow, and I don't think you can upgrade the processor with a third-party mod either.

Go on eBay, you can find a G4 B&W machine for pretty cheap.

OP
h00ters CEO
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac PowerPC G3 350Mhz, 512MB of RAM, OS 9.2.2, 8MB Video Memory
Go on eBay, you can find a G4 B&W machine for pretty cheap.

That was my next thought. Thanks for all of your help!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.