Can Crysis (video game) run on an iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 1.25 GHz PowerPC G4
For the sake of it, I kept the title short. ;) I realize that crysis can run on a imac using bootcamp and windows XP and all that. Ok, first of all -- I'm no super star video game scientist, so don't start waving technical stuff in my face that I should have throttled the buffer overide and overclocked the stfpu in order to get "real" results. But since Crysis is causing most high end PC's to choke and die on it, would a mac be able to hold its own against this amazing game? My question for you is will the iMac 20" 2.4Ghz just out of the box (with the above mentioned programs) run crysis on a high level? Meaning will the imac run crysis at top settings or near there? I am not looking to upgrade the graphics card. But if need be, how/where/how much would the necessary one cost?
Similar situations and advice welcome

-Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1
Macs are not for gaming. If you want to play games, stick with a PC. You cannot change out the video card which is what holds it back from being a good gaming rig.

As for running Crysis at HIGH. No way. barely medium.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
1) search youtube for crysis iMac. Some users have posted videos of such.
2) While it won't run on full quality on full resolution, it is not half that bad either.
3) You can't upgrade the graphics card of the iMac.

Reaction score
Unfortunately you cannot upgrade your graphics card in your imac, it is built onto the motherboard and there is no possibly way to change it.

As for running crysis, yes it will run it, But it will most likely run on very low settings.

You would also need to install Windoes vista because that OS supports direct x10, which will make a huge difference to how the game looks and so it is a must!!

By all means try it though because the graphics card is a hid def card that supports dx10, but it is by no means the best on the market.

Once i have downloaded vista, i will be installing crysis on my imac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You said yourself that Crysis is causing high end PCs to choke, and the iMac is far from being a high end gaming machine. Like brian said, you can probably expect to run the game at low or medium settings with the midlevel video card that comes in your iMac. Also, as brian mentioned, you can't upgrade the video card either.

Reaction score
I just checked out those videos on youtube and people are actually playing crysis with 30fps with everything set on high except for the shader and shadows so you will be able to play it just fine!

Try it, it should be more than playable as long as you have at least 2 gig of RAM and at least a 2.4 GHz processor.

Make sure you use vista to get the most potential out of the game.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 1.25 GHz PowerPC G4
Once i have downloaded vista, i will be installing crysis on my imac.

do you mind telling me how it goes? cause the main selling point for crysis is the amazing graphics, and i dont wanna just instal it then be like, wow, those are ok graphics. i want to be WoW'd (no pun intended)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1
what resolution were these people playing at? I tried the demo and the only way it was playable was to make it ugly.

Reaction score
your going to need to tweak it and make sure you got the driver updates from you leopard disk.

Try 1440x900. At first have everything on low and keep turning up the settings until it looks good and runs smoothly.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 1.25 GHz PowerPC G4
so we all agree vista is essential to run crysis as best as can be on the mac? i never though i would see the day when i would go to furtureshop and say "GIVE ME VISTA!!!" a single tear from the mac purist inside me, but this is the computing world we are coming to. One day it will be a WinMac (windows mac thing)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.