Slave

Reaction score
Hey everyone, is it possible to have a mac, and then another (i.e. emac and powermac) chained together to add extra processing power?

i'd be really interested if this was possible as i have an emac g4, 1.25 ghz with 2gb of ram, and a powermac g4 dual 867 and need more processing power/ram to run logic studio, ableton live and reason in rewire mode.

also, i'd love to run 3 monitors (including the emac's)!

thanks in advance, ijjy.

Reaction score
Hi

Clustering is theoretically speaking possible, but personally I do not think it will be worth it. At all.

It will probably be cheaper to buy a new mac pro and use that (you can use 3++++++ monitors)

How can it be cheaper you ask? Youre a sound engineer by the looks of it, so let's say you work for $300/hour. Taking all the hours of reading, experimentation and frustration into account, that you could have spent working on sessions, its simply not worth it.

When I studied engineering, this would be the type of thing you do "just for fun"

However, the whole reason why I switched to mac is because I have work to do and I want to get it done in the quickest and most effective way.

Sorry for being sort of off-topic, but my advice would be just to get a new machine. Even if you add all those together, you will still only slightly over 2ghz or so. Not worth it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.