New to Apple products - Questions about internet

Reaction score
I am planning to order a MacBook Pro this week, but I'm not exactly smart when it comes to computers and the whole wireless internet thing confuses me. While browsing the Apple site, I came across both the Airport Express and Airport Extreme, but am not sure which one I would need. I don't really see major differences between the two. Could someone explain exactly what I need to do in terms of setting up the internet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.8ghz MBP6,2(4gb) | 20" iMac | 1.8 & 2.0 Mini(4gb) | iPhone4 | iPad-4Wifi
Your going to get a a "Search First" post here in a few so...

But let's break down your question. Do you have internet in your home/office now? Broadband? Do you have a Cable Modem or even a router? Does your Cable Modem have more than one "out" internet plug on it?

Once we know this we can give you advice on how to get your home/office wireless. :)

Welcome to the forums

OP
N
Reaction score
My house has Broadband and a cable modem, but I think it only has one internet "out" plug.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My house has Broadband and a cable modem, but I think it only has one internet "out" plug.

First, check with the provider of the cable modem. Some of the new modems actually have WIFI in them, but it's turned off. I know someone who has "RoadRunner" or something like in Dallas and had WIFI and didn't even know it. So check that first. If you do have WIFI in your Cable Modem your provider should be able to help you set it with security features and such.

If your cable modem does not have WIFI built in, you will need to get a cheap switch. This will switch the "out" from your cable modem into 4, 6, 8 "outs", kind of like how a power strip splits power.

Then you can plug in an Airport Express into one of the newly created "outs". Follow the instructions that will come with the Airport Express and you should be up and running in no time.

For a more expensive option that will allow you to expand in the future get an Airport Extreme. This will basically do the same thing as the Airport Express and the switch combined. It will also allow you to share a USB device with your network, a printer, an external hard drive, etc. It will do those things along with providing WIFI for your home.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thank you for the information, I think I understand better now!

So since I'm a new user, would you recommend going with the Airport Express first?

And this might be a stupid question, but where can I buy a cheap switch?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
you can get a cheap switch just about anywhere computers are sold. i picked one up on sale at best buy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you plan on expanding take the money you would have spent on a switch($45) and Airport Express($99) and just buy the Airport Extreme.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.