How do i backup iLife before clean install?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac PowerPc G4 1.25 GHZ Processor, 1Gb Ram
so, i made the mistake of upgrading to leopard as opposed to cleaning out my hd and doing a clean install.
so im now in the process of backing up all my docs and apps I would like to keep.
one problem, with some apps copying it to my external hd is all i need to get the job done. (I plug in the external hd to my mac book to mac sure it still works properly)
however, i recently posted that I CANNOT lose iLife, and i no longer have the install disc. how do i make a proper, fully functional back-up of iLife?

any help or ideas is greatly appreciated

-Emoguy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
iLife has a lot of components within OS X that it installs, so I don't think it is possible to make iLife transferable just like that...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Agreed with the above. But if you did something like cloned your whole system with time machine or similar it would have ilife on it. And from that you could get the apps back if you needed to. I'm not sure if this is the answer you wanted. But it'd work.

I'm not sure if what you want to do is actually possible though. Well it would be if you found every little file it placed in OS X and then copied them to your hard drive. And if needed put them all back in the same locations of old to make it'd work. To me it's much to much hassle to be worth it.

M

MacHeadCase

Looks like you'll have to buy the iLife suite. If you don't want to buy at the full price, try eBay.

Keeping in a safe place and knowing at all times where your install and restore disks are is essential.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm thinking different... iMac, Macbook, iPod Touch, 10.5 - Leopard
just drag the main applications to your external hard drive. That worked for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, MBP
If iLife came on your computer..the package is located on your system disk. You have to manually go in there and get it.

Now since your system disks are Tiger and you are wanting to install it on a Leopard upgrade...I don't know if there are any issues with that. I'd call Apple and have them walk you through it.

If for some reason iLife 08 is not on your Tiger system disk and it came pre-installed on your computer...Apple owes you the install disks. You should not have to purchase something that came pre-installed period. That's just plain stupid.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.