Macbook Pro vs. iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 1.25 GHz PowerPC G4
I am trying to make a very important decision here. This is for my 16th birthday and its kind of a big deal. I was set on getting a laptop the moment I saw my sister with one, but then my dad said, "have you seen the new iMacs?" Yes I have and I have to say they're beautiful. I went to my local Apple boutique and checked them out and loved them. Then I got to thinking about wanting to go on my bed/couch/kitchen etc. with my laptop. From my understading, they are very similar "under the hood" so I am not concerned about that. I wouldn't be taking the MBP out of the house very much/at all. The big question, is portability worth the $700+ difference? I know with a laptop I would be sacrificing the terrific display of the iMac but the MBP is good too, no? Any advice, similar situations...anything would be appreciated.

-Cheers

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 1.25 GHz PowerPC G4
I am trying to make a very important decision here. This is for my 16th birthday and its kind of a big deal. I was set on getting a laptop the moment I saw my sister with one, but then my dad said, "have you seen the new iMacs?" Yes I have and I have to say they're beautiful. I went to my local Apple boutique and checked them out and loved them. Then I got to thinking about wanting to go on my bed/couch/kitchen etc. with my laptop. From my understading, they are very similar "under the hood" so I am not concerned about that. I wouldn't be taking the MBP out of the house very much/at all. The big question, is portability worth the $700+ difference? I know with a laptop I would be sacrificing the terrific display of the iMac but the MBP is good too, no? The laptop wouldn't be taken to school at all or outside very often. I've read other forums about the matte or glossy sceen. I am most concerned about pure performance from the sceen and I have heard that the glossy does provide an extra richness in colour. I really have no idea which one I want and I think it will come down to renting each for 2 weeks and seeing which one I like more. Any advice, similar situations...anything would be appreciated.

-Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
The big question, is portability worth the $700+ difference?
That's all up to you.

From your post it sounds like your not going to be traveling with your computer much. If this is the case then just get the iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
How can anyone but yourself answer that question? I'd say get the MBP only if you need the portability. Also, you could get the iMac, and add another $400 to the $700 to get a Macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24'' iMac 2.8 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 500 GB HD. 15.4'' MBP, 2.6 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 200GB HD, iPhone 8GB.
iMac is much better than MBP, I have a MBP, but I really wouldn't want it to be my main computer, because the screen is just small. iMac on the other hand is great, esp the 24'' iMac, the display is awesome, MBP's screen is not as good as iMac.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 1.25 GHz PowerPC G4
I am leaning towards the new iMac purely based on the following facts:
-Amazing display (I talked myself into the 24" model)
-More power in certain areas, I wont go into in because I am sure you already know
-The $700+ difference, student on a tight budget

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I am leaning towards the new iMac purely based on the following facts:
-Amazing display (I talked myself into the 24" model)
-More power in certain areas, I wont go into in because I am sure you already know
-The $700+ difference, student on a tight budget

If that is going to benefit you more then make that purchase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
16th birthday you get a mbp? ***!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Iphone 8gig, inherited powerbook (beer+mac=power-brick)

Lucky lucky I am 19 and I still have yet to get anything over 300 bucks from my parents and were rich (or at least they are lol). if money is'nt an issue for you get the 24 inch (the 2.8 is stellar) imac which still is portable IF YOU REALLY NEED TO move a computer around once and again round the house. The big screen is great for movies video chatting and editing stuff. also as young as you are it will probably last you longer than a laptop I have quiet a few friends who make a habit out of taking there laptops everywhere and it usually leads to cracked screens or broken drives (they also walk away sometimes). you dont need to take it anywhere just yet so get the imac. the 17 inch mbp is great too but it cost a bit to make it up to par with the imac.

in my advice get the most expensive item you can squeeze out of the folks while you can.
it sucks when you pay your own bills lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
in my advice get the most expensive item you can squeeze out of the folks while you can.
That, my friend, is some good advice...:)

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 1.25 GHz PowerPC G4
I think I will take your advice goobimama and get the 24"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I got a basketball for my 16th birthday and $50 for my 18th from my parents. Just depends I guess.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.