Folder Renamed, Now isn't bootable

Reaction score
Hello all. I accidently renamed my mac OS X folder on my iBook 466. The HD was making wierd noises, so as I was trying to back up onto my Quicksilver, and it told me I can't copy as Library is already used. I renamed it and haven't been able to boot since then, however I reinstalled OS X 10.3 on it, and the folders are visible. If The 10.4 files are still on it, how could I make them bootable? I tried changing permissions, etc. with no avail. The firewire port is broken, so I can't do FDT. I bought it used and so I don't have the disk. Happy Holidays.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Ah.... let me get this straight. You rendered 10.4 unbootable by renaming "Library", so you installed 10.3 over 10.4? If you want to get back to using 10.4, you'll have to reinstall it. It sounds like you've made a major mess of things... I'd back up all your important files to a separate drive and then do an "Erase and Install" of 10.4 to be sure you get a decent fresh start.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Apple should give out a warning card to all new purchases. Stuff like DO NOT rename your HOME folder. Cause there are so many newbies doing just the same thing..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well it'd be easier if Apple made the home folder unrenameable. Well only the root user could do such things. That'd make everything much better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL! Yep! That would be a much better solution than giving out a stupid warning card. What was I thinking...!

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks all

Since I bought it used, I guess I'll just bite the bullet and buy a new disk. It needs a new HD anyways, so I will buy the disk and the HD. Again, thanks and Happy Holidays.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You should find Tiger on ebay for pretty cheap now that Leopard is out...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Apple should give out a warning card to all new purchases. Stuff like DO NOT rename your HOME folder. Cause there are so many newbies doing just the same thing..

Yah... that and DO NOT DELETE the Library, etc etc. This reminds me of some guy I used to work with several years ago.. always bugging me to help him with his computer. One day he was looking over his files trying to find stuff to delete to make more space. He had already compressed the drive (under Windows 95... whatever that feature was) a couple weeks earlier. He then sees this HUGE file, figures it wasn't good for anything so he deletes it. Computer promptly stops working. Turns out it was the compressed volume itself that he deleted. LOL!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.